1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornbread

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Hermies4Ever, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I was going to bake some cornbread today, and I was just wondering what to do with the leftovers. . . Then I thought, I know, I'll give them to my hermies!!! But just in case they don't like it, I don't want to waste it. . . Tell me, have you been successful with cornbread??? Did your hermies like it???;););)

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I don't think I'd give them the cornbread itself, but my guys do like cornmeal. I don't think you should give the cornbread if it has salt or pepper in it, or baking soda/baking powder or if you use a self-rising cornbread mix.

3. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Did you make it from scratch? or eas it like a box of Jiffy mix kind?
    Either way, Corn bread is fairly tame and as long as it was just a small piece and a one time or once in a while treat I dont see anything wrong with it.
    I think we seem to forget that hermit crabs are scavengers and pretty resilient to different foods Here in RI on the water you can see them eating all kinds of things on the shore, like stuff people left behind, a half eaten sandwich a discarded ice cream cone. They eat POOP for crying out loud! LOL
    a little wont hurt them as a treat.
    as a daily meal, well that could be a problem.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow...you have hermit crabs in Rhode Island?
    I have to agree with emmac350 though...

5. cloie74

yep, we have a beach at the end of our street and we used to go play with them, they are not land hermit crabs, they are on all the rock jetties and the kids climb down to the waterline and play with them, there are hundreds of them they live in periwinkle shells and are super tiny about the size of a dime, but you can always see them at the shore line eating a soggy sandwich or something that has got caught where they can get at it.
    I guess it is better to be safe than sorry though alex, if they don't need it best not to harm them with it by accident.
    This is the body of water at the end of my street, "Narragansett Bay" and these are the crabs, they are called Long-claw crabs
    http://www.risaa.org/savethebay/hermit_crab.html

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Oh ok, you have Marine Hermit Crabs. I was thinking that it was a wee bit cold up your way for Land Hermit Crabs. :D

7. cloie74

Oh yes, they would die at night even in the hight of summer it can get down in the low 60's here at night I posted up there, they are called Long claw crabs, they are very cute and small and the kids love to collect them in their pail, I always make sure they look for a bit then let them go, but they are really neat to watch

8. Hermies4Ever

Okay, thank you everyone for your help. . . I guess my hermies will not be getting any cornbread. . .

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can use aluminum free baking powder if you are going to bake for your crabs.

As for me, I LOVE cornbread. Do you ever drizzle honey on the top of it right before it's done baking? It's delish.

10. Hermies4Ever

Oooooh!!! Sounds good, I will try that!!! Thanks, Vckums!!!

11. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I've never tried it. In my household, when there is cornbread everyone takes one peice and then another piece and then another. Untill every last crumb is gone. And then sometimes my dog even gets to finish off the very last bits.:D

12. Hermies4Ever

Sounds like your family really loves cornbread!!! Maybe next time, you can make an extra loaf for your hermies. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.