1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corn Husks?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Crabmier, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

I was just wondering if hermies can eat the husks off of corn-you know, the green covering with silk on ears of corn. Just wondering.:)

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

They can eat corn so I don't see why not. Give it a try.

3. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I would wait till someone more experienced comes on to answer, there could be something with corn husks that may not be safe for them. I don't ever take chances, even if they can eat corn doesn't mean they can eat the husks.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yup they can eat them. I've fed mine in chunks and shredded.

5. Shelia

Shelia Hi, I'm New Here!

What about corn cobs, even the dried ones from field corn?

6. Jessafall

Jessafall "Preparing For First Molt"

that's good to know that crabs can eat corn husks, In the fall, my family has connections and we get free corn on the cob from a guy we know. luckly he grows it organic. but too bad I can't use the corn in my backyard. haha i live on dairy farm land and our house is surrounded by corn growing for the cows but they spray pestisides so i wouldn't want to endanger my crabs!

7. cococrisp

Lucky! You live on a farm! I've always wanted to live on a farm. :) I love cows.:D I get corn on the cob from the grocery store sometimes but I don't know what they put on it so on second though I might not feed it.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

corn cobs are fine, it's a good source of celluose.

9. Jessafall

yep i've grown up as a farmer's daughter my entire life. and it's never gotten boring!

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

We are being urban farmers lol We've got our own garden, corn is in the front yard. Zuchinni,squash, tomatos, potatos, bell peppers, carrots in the backyard. Along with chickens.

11. cococrisp

I just live in a regular house except for the fact that I have 3 hermit crabs, a dog and a tortoise. I was just concerned about if they sprayed it with pesticides or something...

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

I live in a regular house too. No real big yard, but we make do with what we have.

13. cococrisp

We have a TINY garden with about 10 different plants. It's small but I can't use it. It's where my mom grows all her flowers. The only useful thng about it (I'm not too fond of flowers) is that there are several pansies and clovers that I can feed my hermit crabs and tortoise.:D

14. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

Thanks everyone! Tried the corn and corn husks with my hermies... it was a feeding frenzy! :p

15. Jessafall

cool vicki, my family raised chickens up till i was 4 years old. then we sold them. My mom is a vegetarian so our garden is huge with everything you can imagine, and every herb you can imagine. it pays to have someone who eats extremely healthy in the family. so we don't have to spend alot of money on potatoes, eggplant, rhubard and etc. cause we grow it all!

16. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Can they eat the ears, too?

17. chermo

I gave mine a part of the ear with some corn still on it and some husk, they left the ear alone and tore apart the husks. I will be giving it again.

18. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'll snap some pics of the chooks and the veggie garden and post them.

If you don't have a yard to grow stuff in, there's a thing called raised garden beds. You can grow things on cement! I'll find the link and post it.

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

Here's the pics.

Garden:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. chermo

We will not be doing a garden like I thought we were and so I decided I will start doing stuff in pots and in the winter I can have a little spot in the basement where I can have a growing light and my plants, I really feel that the cheaper these crabbies are my husband will be happier. I only spent $20 in the addiction store but I did get a lot that will last a while so that is fine but if I can even grow my own stuff I will save more money and he will maybe let me buy the 40b I want with some extra cash we may have after we finish the basement. He hates to see me shop for them for foods but when he sees how long these thing last me he is happier. I may only buy something for .67cents here and there or I may buy large sums of money worth of foods but they last so long that he is getting ok with it. I think the addiction store is great and I would love to see pictures of where you grow the stuff, that would be so cool. I love your store and will always order when I start to run out but I am also finding other ways to buy foods or even plant fresh foods. My crabs sometimes don't eat the dried stuff, if there is fresh in the tank they will pick at most of that first unless it is a favorite dried food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.