1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copper Sulfate

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by Kali_Ma, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

While we're on the subject of poisons, one of the ingredients added to commercial diet that I really have a problem with is copper sulfate.

This is one of the ingredients of Bordeaux mixture -- a terribly effective and strong insecticide and fungicide. I really question any food that has to have vitamins added after the fact because of over-processing the ingredients, but when they add laboratory-produced chemical reproductions of natural molecules, one really has to worry.

Copper is found in sufficient quantities for crabs in seaweed. They need access to seaweed at all times. I recommend human-grade products, as opposed to animal-grade ones, which may be treated with ethoxyquin. They are not allowed to add ethoxyquin to human food.

Kerie

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Kerie,
    The kicker here is that the human grade seaweed is a lot less expensive than the seaweed marketed for fish. I bought a package of Sushi Nori and I think I will have it forever LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.