1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constructing a ShellF (shell shelf) (pics)

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by kuplakrabs, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Not enough room for all of those extra shells? Tired of digging them out of the substrate?

To help maximize surface area on which the crabs can walk and still keep all of the shells in the tank, I have constructed a shell shelf (aka shellf) out of a piece of 1/4" plexi type material. I went to my local hardware store and had them cut it. I then lined the outer perimeter with tiny corks to prevent the shells from falling off. I used aquarium sealant to hold them in place on the piece of plexi. I let it set for at least 72 hours before putting it into the tank. Both to help cure the sealant and eliminate any fumes. My shellf is triangular to jazz up the tank a bit, but a square one would work just as well.

[​IMG]

I then constructed cork huts (you can see them underneath) on which the shellf sits. I didn't adhere them to the shellf because it allows me the freedom to position it wherever I'd like to accomodate different decorating schemes when rearranging the tank.

[​IMG]

If you don't like the look of the corks, you can always hide them with a little ingenuity and some fake plants. I removed them so I could show in the pictures how I went about making the shellf. Of course, it doubles as a nice little hiding spot for the crabs too.

Just make sure you provide some way for the crabs to get up to the shellf and you should be good to go. If you want any pointers, pm me and I will be more than happy to help you out [​IMG]

One more thing-the corks are nice because they don't mold!

My crabs have not had any problems utilizing the shellf. They change shells all of the time and are smart enough to know where the extra shells are kept, so don't be worried that they won't find them LOL.

I posted this somewhere before (probably got off topic in another thread LOL), but thought I would make a separate thread for easy reference.

2. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I am so glad you posted this. I always thought that I had to leave the empty shells littered around the tank so they could stumble upon them. Now I keep them all in one corner, and they know just where to go to find a new dress. Every night I hear them clinking around on the pile of shells picking through it to find the perfect one. It works out great because I can keep more shells in the tank this way without cluttering it up. I love the idea of a shelf too, even better.

3. Kriston

Kriston Hi, I'm New Here!

Wendy,
    This is so cool! Thank you sooo much for sharing this information. So, I guess it is safe to put cork in their crabitat? I figured they'd destroy the cork. I like the fact that it won't mold, I didn't know that. I really want to be successful at crabbing, I know if my crabs would just come out, we would have a blast together. My husband thinks I'm silly for spending so much time inspecting the tank and anticipating my little guys making a debut from the coconut hut! Thanks again! Kriston

4. kuplakrabs

You're welcome and BTW, welcome to HCRU too!

As for the corks, I guess I should correct my statement and say they haven't molded yet. I suppose they could mold - anything is possible, but I have had them in contact with the moist substrate for about 7 months with no maintenance and haven't seen mold yet (knocks wood).

5. Kriston

Kriston Hi, I'm New Here!

I told all of my friends to save their corks!LOL
    Update on hubby... Spongebob crab died and hubby took the kids to the petshop to get 4 more crabs. Long story short, hubby is ready to go buy more crabs now!!! YEA!

6. kuplakrabs

Kriston,
    Pm me if you are interested in corks, I'll send you some free of charge [​IMG]

7. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

THanks Kuplakrabs this shelf idea really helped me
    because i have alot of shells in the tank.

8. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

I am working on a shelf too. There are so many good ideas---but I am trying the cork too. [​IMG]
    I am waiting on another order of corks to arrive so that I can finish it- but I will post pics when it is completed. It has turned out to be a bigger task than I originally thought...

9. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to order some corks online, I work at a bar and could keep those but I'm afraid that when they get wet, that the wine remains may harm them.

10. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Jennifer, If you cant find any corks, maybe you could use some of the Jungle Vine and cut it, then apply that to the edge of the plexiglass?

11. kuplakrabs

Jennifer,
    Here is the cheapest place I found on line at .05 per cork.

http://corkstore.com/product_list.html

5 cent corks

You can also get cheap cork bark at the site as well...listed under Specialties. And the pieces are much bigger than most places on line.

12. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

A "Cork Store". I shoulda known... these days you can find anything on the Internet. [​IMG]

13. kuplakrabs

LOL...ain't it the truth [​IMG]

If anyone wants the tiny corks, I have a ton of them and will gladly send you some if you PM me. I even have the bigger ones too. No charge, just pay the shipping and you can have them.

14. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

I ordered mine on Ebay. You can get really good deals sometimes... [​IMG] But Kuplacrabs has the better deal at the moment[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.