1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

?!?! confusion ?!?!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by veltish, Jan 20, 2007.

1. veltish

veltish Guest

oh man.. i was just looking through pictures that i have.. and placing them into my I.D. folders.. and i discovered that im totally confused. i have 3 crabs that i have no idea who is who. the mix up is with charlotte,caligi, and brac. all threee are small dull colored PP's. and they are all in black and white turbo's usually i can tell them apart by shell coloring( which is how i know who casper is..becuase he has  a huge white patch on his shell, otherwise i wouldnt be able to tell him apart either and there would be 4 in the mix up).. but right now only two of the three crabs are up.. so i cant compare all three to figure out who's who. its driving me nutso!! i guess im going to have to wait until the other look -aliek comes up so i can take them all out..identify them and take a TON of pictures to help me figure things out.

is it possible to make small markings on the shells with something??( im thinking like dots or something) the only thing i can think of is permanent marker..and just do 1,2, and 3 dots on the shells so i can tell them apart. but would this be toxic to the crabs??? i figure that the dots would be small enoguh to not be harmful..but im not sure what to do.. any suggestions??? i dont think theres anyway i can live withmyself if i dont know what crab is what..i jusst GOTTA KNOW!!!!!!!!

2. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

I usually study their BP's, colors and shape. It helps a lot. Try taking pics of their BP's.

I wouldn't mark their shells, only because they change out of them so that won't help. Two crabs may even swap each others shells.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

SHAME on you not knowing who your children are!  :pffftt:

Yes all I can say is pics pics pics---take em all different angles and keep a file of each crab---Noobie saw my computer files he can tell ya--its a tad nuts but it works  :tongue3:

4. veltish

veltish Guest

well, i guess i will get to oing that today.. then ill have to take pics of the third look-alike whenever he/she comes up. i just remembered that when i got charlotte she had a broken off tip on her first right walking leg.. so if i can get her to come out so i can see her legs..ill study her BP and identify her for sure! ill post some pics of them once i figure this out!

5. veltish

veltish Guest

Well.. i looked closely at the two crabs.. and took pictures. i found out which one was charlotte and she has a red stripe on the side of her BP. and I decided the other one would be caligi because he was pretty active once he got his bath and i remember him being that way. i remember Brac being extremely shy and only coming out for a couple seconds. caligi has a very round BP and has a red spot between the pichers on his BP. i athink i got every thing pretty much sorted out now. but my camera is being stupid and wont load images.. its ticking me off! ill post pics once i get them to load.

6. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I have this problem with some of my Es, even though I take tons of pictures of them! They still just look too much alike! :po: