1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Jennifer Leatherwood, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Ok, So I come home yestarday around 6pm and one of my PP are in the salt water pool w/ an empty shell in the pool also. And my new little ruggie naked on the side of the pool. I don't know if there was some sort of fight, but I moved the PP and right away my Rug got back into his shell. He seems fine. So I go to dinner, return around 9ish, check on the crabs and notice 1 tiny tiny white bug on my new strawberry who is in the main tank. Now I know the importance of ISO!!! Anyhow I took out Big Red and bathed him in a salt water bath. Immediately after the bath he was kinda hangin out of his shell. Then for the rest of the night he was right by the side of the salt water pool or in it. I did notice him climbing on the brances though a little bit but he's still pretty lethargic not too much antenna activity. So is this white bug a mite? Is their more? I checked on quite a few other crabs and didn't see any. Is this normal activity for a straw, is he premolt? And what is going on w/ my little nudie? Do you think it was a shell fight? I'm quite confuse. Any help/suggestions would be great.

Jenn

2. Jennifer Leatherwood

I just checked on them and Big Red is still in the salt water very lethargic, Dewie is now in Balls shell and Ball is in Dewie's shell. Dewie is the rug and Ball is the PP in the previous post. I am wondering is Dewie was attacked again by Ball. Dewie is hangin out in the Salt water dish also right now. Should I move these 2 crabs to Iso? Please help.
    JEnn

3. Jennifer Leatherwood

Sadly I lost Dewie. I have moved big red to ISO but he is just hangin out in the salt water. Doesn't look good for him either. [​IMG]

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Oh Jennifer, I am sorry to hear about Dewie. Was he around the same size as Ball? It could very well have been a shell fight. How many extra shells per crab do you have in the tank? I would recommend at the very least 2-3 per crab.

As far as Big Red, it sounds like he could either be suffering PPS or is pre-molt. Since the mortality rate among Perlatus is so high, I can only hope he is gearing up for a molt. I had two straws for 5 and 7 months and they just plain quit. Almost like they were a clock winding down and then just stopped one day. The little white bugs could be mites. I had some on a few new crabs once and there were only a few-like 3-5. I bathed them and they did not appear to come back. If Big Red is acting so strangely, though, I wouldn't bathe him unless he is infested with them. Keeping him in ISO for now is a good idea.

I'm not sure what you have read about PPS, but most people say that after 3 months they are "over" the PPS time frame. I disagree. I think you could still lose a crab for up to 6 months and consider it PPS. The reason is because if they have had their immune systems weakend from harvesting and shipping, it may take a while for a potentially fatal pathogen to finally shut down their systems. If, however, you have established a stable tank environment and have had the same crabs for over a year and then suddenly they all start dying, your crabbing methods and the tanks surroundings need to be examined more closely.

I hope Big Red makes it through for you...keep us updated on his condition.

5. Jennifer Leatherwood

Thanks for the condolences. Dewie and ball were the same size yes and I have almost 40 extra shells and 16 crabs now 15.

Big Red is barely alive and still in the salt water. Should I move him? Should I have more than one ISO tank. One for the sick guys and premolt and also another one for the new guys?

This is such a bummer cuz I haven't lost one since the first 2 of 3 when I first started crabbing a few months ago. My tank is 80hum/80temp

Jenn

6. kuplakrabs

Sometimes despite our best efforts, shell fights can't be prevented. There has also been some information lately about a lack of nitrogen in their diets contributing to aggression. I have also read this in a book called Biology of the Land Crabs. Kerie (Kali_Ma) and a few others have found that by feeding the crabs a feeder fish from your local pet store (which you place into salt water until it dies) seems to combat agressive behaviour in captivity. A "freshly dead" animal releases nitrogen as it decomposes. While using freeze dried crickets (for example) and such to supplement the diet is fine, they don't actually provide the nitrogen that a cricket that has died a day or two ago will.

If you haven't already moved Big Red to ISO, I would suggest scooping him up on a large plastic serving spoon and putting him into a quiet, dark ISO and keeping the humidity around 80%.

If it were me, I would try to keep new crabs (specifically) in a completely separate tank from any other crabs in the event that they do have mites or some pathogen that could be spread to your established crabs. I don't ISO my molters, but if you wanted to keep naked/sick crabs from your established colony (meaning they have all been together for a while) and pre-molters together, you could always place a barrier into the ISO unit for your own peace of mind.

My reasoning for the above would simply be that if your crabs have been together for a while, they have already been exposed to each other and if one is sick, there isn't much you can do to stop the spread of something. You just have to hope that the others have a strong enough immune system to fight it off. I also can't see having my house full of ISO tanks either [​IMG]

It does stink when you start losing them...but unfortunately, it is the nature of the beast. When I first started crabbing, I bought almost 30 crabs within a month and knew that a small percentage would not make it past 3 months. Most of the weak ones did die within that range, but some hung on for as long as 6 months. I haven't had a death in a few months, with the exception of my Jumbo, who I beleive simply had a terminal molt-it was just his time to go.

Things will get better and as time passes, you will lose fewer and fewer crabs from your established colony. If only they were harvested with better care...or better yet-they were bred in captivity and properly cared for from the beginning [​IMG]

7. Jennifer Leatherwood

Big Red is gone. I'm bummin. I am adopting another straw on sat. I hope I have better luck with this one. My other straw is very active but probably missing his buddy now.
    [​IMG] jenn

8. kuplakrabs

9. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Wendy, Would a freshly dead cricket provide nitrogen?

10. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Sure would! But some outside insects might have mites or parasites, so food-bred crickets might be safer. Depends how paranoid you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.