1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

condensation? heating methods?

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Jennifer Leatherwood, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

I have been all over this site looking at everyones beautiful crabitats. But none seem to have condensation all over the sides like mine does. Should they? Also should I rewet their sand or EE when it starts to dry out? I mist in their a couple of times a day to keep the humidity up which boosts it for a short time but then it falls to about 60% so I have to keep misting. I have 3 1/4 inch thick glass panels over the top while I wait for my new versa top to come in. With about a 6inch area uncovered where I have a reptile lamp w/ a 15w and a 40w moon glow blulbs for heat.The lamp covers the hole completely. I had a piece of glass there but it broke in half into the tank last night, thank god no one was injured. I think it broke from the heat from the light. My versa top should be in in a few days but I don't want to put this light back on and crack my top. Any suggestions what to do for heat, humidity? I have a 11x14 & 8x8 UTH on a 40gal breeder. What does everyone else use to heat their tank?

Jenn

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

You'll need to get a piece of tempered glass for your tank, it is designed to withstand heat. Regular glass will crack from lamps after a while.

You can get tempered glass cut to size at most glass shops, though they may have to special order it. And it can be expensive.

I have problems with condensation in the morning, if it got cold at night, and I had a lot of it until I calibrated my humidity gauges and found out they were off by 15% each! But I still get a little condensation now & again, and always do if the humidity gets above 85%.

I always use a shower squeegee on my tank to knock down condensation and sand before I take pictures -- I bet others are wiping their glass before pix, too! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.