1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concerned

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by danzer02, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danzer02

danzer02 Guest

Hi everyone! My name is Amanda and I have had my crabs for about a year. I have gone through a few successful molts until now. I had a crab leave his shell and go under... (at least I think he dig down, because I cannot find him). I do not think that he took a new shell down with him. Is this normal? I monitor the humidity/temp so I believe they are ok. I am just worried about the missing crab. Any advice? Am I doing something wrong for them? HELP.

And also what does everyone think the best substrates are?

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I can say that I have never had a molt like that--he could have been attacked and eaten--or is hiding--can you dig around to see or do you have others down? Could be he just took a shell and you are not aware- I have had that happen more than once---streaking is a sign of stress and perhaps humidity that is too high.

I think the best substrate is a combo of sand eco earth and crushed coral--I like to offer them a choice and the EE is awesome at keeping things moist!

I hope the crabbie shows up! :straw:

3. iluvhermies

iluvhermies Guest

I have nevre had that happen either. I have however had one dig down and leave her shell under and surface to take another shell and bury again.

4. danzer02

danzer02 Guest

:spunky: Shoo...Thankfully I was wrong. I moved some things around and dug down a little a found the top of a shell, so I just covered him back up. I guess he did take a shell with him after all. Thanks!

5. iluvhermies

iluvhermies Guest

Glad to hear he pulled the shell change on you instead of burying nakkie.

6. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

crazy crab! Yeah, mine check out shells in pre-molt, but usually don't switch until after the molt.

7. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

i hav ehad similar situations happen from time to time. My crabs just like to play hide and seek to mess with my head.

As for substrate, I just get a 50lb bag od sand box sand every moth, and toss the old sand out.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome to the site Danzer :troll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.