1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

completley purple

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by cursedkid, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

at first i thought petco only sold pp and straws, but then i saw a pure purple crab, could it be a pp or a different kind?

2. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

I would love an answer on this one too. Zook is totally purple...really really dark purple. And his left claw is HUGE!! He's kinda scary with his hairy legs and huge claw, but he loves shells swaping and climbing so I'm enjoying him. Of course like the others he had to go and end up in a G.T. He's one of the ones I got at PetSmart for V-day.

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

A completely purple crab could be a purple pincher, an Indo, a Cavipes, or even a Ruggie. Is he completely purple like this guy? http://decapods.net/?name=Wedge He's a purple pincher. I have some better photos of him now that I really need to edit and upload!

As for the others ... a Cavipes will have bright orange antennae. Ruggies have antennae that are usually orangy at the base, and have relatively small BPs that look almost heart-shaped.

Indos look the most similar to purple pinchers, but they are usually a kind of dusty gray-purple. They have perfectly round, cylindrical eyestalks -- their eyes look kinda beady as a result. They also have the largest BPs relative to their overall size. Here is Sed, one of my Indos: he's pretty purple. http://decapods.net/?name=Sed

Pineapplemama -- I feel pretty certain you've got a PP because I have never heard of anyone finding any other species at a Petsmart.

Cursedkid -- I have seen everything but Ecuadorians at Petco, but it's rare to see Indos and Cavipes there.

If you can post pictures, I or someone here will be able to tell you for sure. [​IMG]

4. pineapplemama

I don't care if he's a PP or something else, I luv his color and personality!

5. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

nope, hes was purple no other color

6. pineapplemama

Yup I'm pretty sure Zook is a PP. For one he looks very similar to Wedge, but his dark purple is only less on the underside of his legs, where it is a cool indigo color.

Secondly the crab absolutely loves to shell swap, which leans ya toward PP again.

I'm just enjoying him. PP/E/Straw doesn't matter as long as they have a great personality!

7. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Hmmm, that's almost what my PP looks like. Uber dark. He's a shell swapping maniac too.

8. pineapplemama

Uberdark...I like that!!

You aren't a skater are you Becca?

9. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Hmmm, I just noticed this question. No I'm not. I just like pronouncing uber. And spork. Spork is a fun word.

But on topic, those of you who have PP's that are the more unusual coloring (entirely purple w/o red or pink anywhere) what do they look like post-molt? My strange guy is buried and I'm pretty sure he's molting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.