1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely Confused

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kissmeimgone, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

Im pretty confused on whats going on. My little guy has been in the forest bedding substrate for 2 or 3 days now and I'm pretty sure he hasn't come up yet. So I checked on him and he's still alive. Could he be molting?..

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Never check on them unless you smell a strong fish smell - they can be down for weeks even months depending. Is he new? He could be destressing.

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

My hermit crabs have been doing the same thing. I don't know if they're doing it to molt, preparing for a molt, or just for fun since they just got the coco fiber a couple of weeks ago. How can you tell?

4. kissmeimgone

Ive had the little guy for about a month, month and a half and I'm pretty sure he distressed soon as I got him..so yeah..any suggestions?
    And if he IS down for a molt do I still refill his food bowl with regular food everyday or no?

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If he is definitely molting you don't have to feed him unless you have others up. Currently all my crabs are molting so I don't really bother to feed them. To see if he is molting I usually check underneath by lifting up my tank and looking below. Now I can see Crisp munching on his exo. I can only do that because Crisp is molting in the ten gallon ISO tank. I can't see Coco under my 75 gallon. That's the only thing I really miss about a smaller tank. Don't ever dig him up though.

6. kissmeimgone

Hes funny because hes hiding under a ceramic bridge that I got from Walmart..thats his usual digging spot during the day xD

7. kissmeimgone

I think its been about a week now and hes still under there...How can I be for SURE hes still alive without bothering him?...And is it okay the fact that I sprinkle water and seasalt water around him while he's molting so he doesnt dehydrate?..

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You should always maintain optimum tank conditions, and most especially if you have crabs molting. Keep food in the dish as well because you never know when they may come up. Also, as Hermez said, leave them alone and let them do their thing. If you disturb them you may be interrupting what their body needs to do, and could cause some very unfortunate complications for the crab.
    :)use your nose not your fingers:) Hang in there...

9. kissmeimgone

So should I keep him moist or no?

10. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

If he is in Eco Earth, it is a good idea to drop a few drops of water around him occasionally, but you don't want to wet it too much. Just a teensy bit to keep it slightly moist. Make sure the water is not cold. If you have already soaked your substrate with ocean salt water, go ahead and moisten with fresh dechlor water.

I know it is hard, but you MUST leave him alone. My micro went down for molt and took 4 weeks. Depending on size, they can take up to a couple months, I've even heard of them taking 4 to 5 months! So put on your pacing slippers, maintain optimal tank conditions, and be sure to replace and refresh his water every few days, both ocean salt and fresh dechlor. When mine was down I made sure there was always food for him, but I chose foods that were okay to leave for two or three days (tops) to prevent mold growth. That way if he came up when I wasn't around he would have fresh food and water when he needed it.
    Please do leave your hermie alone, and though you are tempted to move the tank and peek at him, this is also disturbing. Never use a flashlight either, this does startle and upset them. You just have to be patient, he will be fine!
    if you notice an iodine smell, that is okay, sometimes hermies will smell like iodine when they are getting ready to molt. If it starts to smell like a stinky, rotten fish smell, then it is time to check your hermie (but if you give frozen krill, keep in mind this will smell up your tank too).
    When he comes up be prepared with foods rich in protein and chitin like steamed shrimp with the tail still on, krill, and some energy foods like coconut and honey.
    Good luck, he may make you wear out those pacing slippers! :)

11. kissmeimgone

yeah i know..saturday we are going on 9 hour car drive to louisiana and we're going to be gone for a week for spring break so im taking him with him so im definitley going to make sure im the only one to take care of him ^.^

12. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

13. kissmeimgone

oh..btw..i put some rice puffs [big chunks] in the food dish last night and once i got off of work today i noticed most of them were gone..so apparently he popped up last night to get a munch...lol
    so is he molting, hungry and molting or what?

14. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Sometimes they like to dig around a bit, and it may be a precursor to molting, or he's just enjoying digging around. Just make sure to feed him the foods rich in nutrients needed for molting like protein, chitin, and calcium. Make sure he has plenty of ocean water available, they like to fill their shells up with that for molting. ;)
    It's best to be safe and ready just in case!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.