1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commercial food.

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Chuck_Norris, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Do you feed just commercial food, a mix of commercial and fresh food, or just fresh food? Just curious as to what other crabbers out there do...

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I feed only fresh...and stuff from Vicki's store...which reminds me, I really need to order more!

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

after reading about all the bad stuff in commercial foods I stopped 2 years ago. Fresh foods, safe dry foods, stuff from my garden and organics I buy at the store and online.

4. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I also purchase products from The Crabbage Patch, El's Shells, The Happy Hermit. I also give them Hermit Crab Kibble from the Colorado Care Co. You can get it directly from Blaze or at TCP. It's a complete diet for crabs. I supplement it with fresh food and the worm casting (yum-yum) I buy from TCP, along with a mixture of crushed nuts and a calcium mix I make.

5. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

Well I have a selection of both, but they usually never go for the commercial stuff.

I cut up various vegetables and top it off with shrimp, they love it. I also leave popcorn in the tank - unbuttered. It's the only thing they'll eat sometimes. X.x

6. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

I go for the all natural foods for my hermit crabs. When I got my first hermit crab, I fed it commercial (FMR) food for about a week. She didn't really eat much of it... It looked like crap to be honest. But the lady at the koisk told me it's what they ate, so I bought it. I was a pretty dumb crabber at the time. However, after I researched it a bit, I found out that there were ingredients in these commercial foods that was actually harmful to my crabs. Then on, I stopped feeding/buying hermit crab food that is found in commercialized pet stores (ie. Petsmart/Petco).

I get my food from NarNar. Her stuff is really great by the way. Crabbage Patch also sells some earthworm casting and these little cookie things (Forgot what it's called). My hermit crabs LOVE them. I also throw in a slice or two of whatever fruit I happen to eat. Apples and watermelons mainly. I almost tried orange... but I heard oranges can be harmful, unless dried.

7. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

Haha, it smells like crap too. xD

But I don't trust any pet store workers anymore. They know NOTHING about crabs. Anything I asked them was a reply of "I dunno.."

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

You are right about the stores knowing nothing about the animals they sell...then they act all offended when you feed them some information. Anyway, I am feeding mostly all natural foods now. I still sprinkle a little commercial stuff in with it. I guess I'm just not confident I am feeding them a balanced diet.:eek:

9. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

You could feed them commercial food as long as it contains no harmful preservatives and provides balanced nutrition. However, that is so hard to come by that I would let you hammer blunt rusty nails into my kneecaps if you would find some. Just take my advice and make your own food or buy some from vicki or something.

10. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I was just curious... thanks for all the replies. :)

Ever since I've joined this site I ditched all commercial foods and now feed only fresh. I know they like it more because the food doesn't sit untouched for days... I have crabs that will run to the food as soon as I put it in there, and then I have others that like to wait until it's almost ready to be thrown out... it's like the enjoy rotten food... but anyway, that's what I feed. :)

11. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

fresh mostly, it's much cheaper to throw them a piece of fruit or whatever your eating instead of buying commercial food that sometimes costs $6 for a little jar and doesn't even last them that long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.