1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commercial Crab Food!!!

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by Hermies4Ever, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Is there ANY commercial crab food that is not toxic, or filled with preservatives??? If so, please do tell!!!;););)

2. sterwick

sterwick Hi, I'm New Here!

Commercial food is really not ideal, giving your crabs a variety from all the food groups is ideal, but there is one commercial diet: Hikari Crab Cuisine, that has no Ethoxyquin- a harmful chemical put in most crab diets.

3. vampressqueen

vampressqueen Hi, I'm New Here!

that's what i would like to know as well. i just found out that ethyquin? is bad for crabs. iwas feeding them fish flakes which they like. I'm on a fixed income & can't afford to buy organic food or anything costly. they do like frozen mixed veggies-cooked & choppedup & broccoli when i can afford it.

4. Hermies4Ever

Okay, I will stop feeding them "Commercial Crab Food" altogether. Thank you both "Sterwick", and "Vampressqueen" for your helpful advice. . .

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have one! I mean, it's still best to give fresh fruits and veggies daily but there is a brand called FMR. Generally, i think their care is horrible but they make a nice brand of hermit crab food. Get the type in a light pink bottle. All the ingredients are on the safe food list and they're all natural like coconut and shrimp. You'd have to find it online. I'll get you guys a link. Also, don't feed fish flakes. ;)

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

Have you checked out the safe food list? You can find almost all the items at your local grocery store. Buy dehydrated and it will last forever. If you buy fresh, say an apple, cut it up into small chunks and freeze it. Pull out a piece when you want to feed them some.

You can ask friends and family if they have some fruit/veggies/meat that they can contribute to your crabs. Ask for nickel size pieces to give an example.

If you go to a salad bar or all you can eat buffet, you can put fresh veggies on your plate and take them home later for the crabs. Might have to be a bit sneaky if they don't let you take home the leftovers tho.

You can also enter photo contests here, most of the time the prize is foods for the crabs.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

There are fish flakes out there that are safe. As for FMR, I'd pass on anything of theirs. Not all pet food companies have to list every ingredient they use, so be wary.

8. cococrisp

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

10. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

The biggest problem with commercial food, even if it IS healthy is that crabs hate to eat the same thing twice in a row never mind every day.
    If crabs don't get a variety, they will stop eating.
    Also, with the powdery foods, crabs dont get to have the fun of tearing stuff up! Crabs like to tear chunks of food off a bigger piece to eat, it gives them something to do and they enjoy it.
    I have a dry mix that I created with some of the stuff in Vicky's store that I leave in there all the time. and another dish for their fresh nightly food that I put in right before I go to bed and take out as soon as i get up.
    I keep the dry in there for the occasional grazer that likes a mid day snack.

They eat VERY little when they do eat, so if you go to the market and buy 1 carrot, 1 apple, 1 banana 1small bunch of grapes, 1 small box of berries some broccoli and maybe a squash or eggplant you can cut it all up and freeze it in freezer bags and probably feed your crabs for a year! Also protein can come from other places than meat, hard boiled eggs, organic peanut butter and even unsalted peanuts are cheap alternatives, a small jar of organic peanut butter is like $5 and will last you forever!
    So for the kids with hermmies maybe for Christmas you can ask for a $20 gift card to the super market as a stocking stuffer, that should be enough to feed your crabs all year!

11. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

That was a great article, Vicki - thanks for sharing it! I've been swearing off processed foods for a while now (not completely, but I've been minimizing them in my diet) and the article is completely right - doing so does make you feel better, and, on top of health benefits, your money will go farther at the store. It sounds counter-intuitive, but if you don't buy pre-sliced lettuce mixes for salads but instead buy non-sliced lettuce, it's cheaper. You could buy a pre-made salad mix for $3 for maybe 4 personal sized salads, which works out to $.75 a salad, or you could buy lettuce for $1.50 that will make at least 7 salads (a little over $.20 per salad), a couple of carrots $1.50 that will make 10 salads plus a stew (including the stew, that makes it less than $.10 per use), and a tomato that costs $1 and will make at least 4 salads (personal sized salads here, and that's the most expensive at $.25 each). So you get a whole salad for $.55 per salad. And you get carrots for a stew. :)

As for the questionable ingredients, it is true that pet food makers don't have to say everything that's in the food in their ingredients list. So while they may be honest with the Hikari food about no ethoxyquin, they may not be. Also, they've added a bunch of chemical versions of naturally occurring vitamins and minerals that were removed during the manufacturing process. None of those chemical versions have been tested for safety with hermit crabs, so why would you want to feed them something that may not be safe for them?

It isn't hard to feed crabs a balanced meal even without a pelleted food. I bought a pound of shrimp over a year ago, sauteed them with some olive oil, and put some lime juice on them, then froze them individually in Ziploc bags. I still have over half of them left. I save bruised pieces of fruit I take off when I'm making a fruit salad, or I save them a bite (cut a piece off) of my apple. We had a banana go too brown to use for anything, so I froze it and cut it up into pieces. That's been in the freezer almost a year. Pumpkin or melon guts? Crabs love 'em! Before you cook your meat, cut off two little pieces. Microwave them, and freeze one while offering the other. That way you'll have a piece saved up for the next time. Hard boil an egg, save the eggshells (calcium source), and crush it up - give them a little bit every few days, and it will last a good while.

Lately, I've been doing a method that I learned from Cloie - piece or two of chicken or whatever other meats I have available, 1/4 cup rice, and between 1/2 and 3/4 cup water. Microwave until the water's gone. I put somewhere between 2 tsp and 1 tbsp in their bowl every night but I also mix in other stuff. Lettuce, carrot, a piece of pineapple (from the last time we cut a pineapple; we saved the parts with too much outside gristly stuff but still with fruit for the crabs; that's in my freezer too), a shrimp, whatever it is. Make sure you offer a fruit, veggie, meat, and calcium source at a minimum.

Oh, and my 1/4 cup rice is lasting a good while. It'll probably take me until at least the middle of next week, and I probably could get away with offering a little less because they don't even come close to eating all of it.

12. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I just give mine a tiny bit of what we have in the fridge.

13. sterwick

I do know for sure that Hikari has no Ethoxyquin, as I have found that numerous crab websites say so, but one thing that sickened me, after reading Emma's reply and the article on the epicurean hermit, is that they add chemical versions of vitamins used in the manufactring process- one reason i bought Hikari was that it had much higher vitamin value than all the other commercial diets. I am definately switching off commercial foods. If you live in Europe, you will likely see 'EC permitted antioxidant' on your pet food- this is just a way to hide the fact the product is Ethoxyquin. I have noticed with commercial diets, my crabs have gone dull and colourless.

Stevo.

14. cococrisp

I'm sorry. I just read the label and thought that it looked great because I thought it listed all the ingredients. I don't feed commercial food anyways.

15. emmac350

Pet foods aren't required to list all ingredients, like was said above. Yeah, the weird chemical additives this is strange...the fact that they take things out to put fake versions back in...ugh. Makes me mad, you know? The natural versions are always better than the manmade ones, seems a bit arrogant to think otherwise.

16. cococrisp

They should have to list the ingredients. It's not fair! They're ripping everyone off.:mad:

17. sterwick

I agree cococrisp, they should have a list of all the ingredients, so we know exactly what we are buying. I am surprised Ethoxyquin is permitted in pet foods, but as it said in the article: blaming Ethoyquin for the death of a crab is the equivilant of death by drinking water, there are loads more dangers. They now sell large hermit crabs in a nearby petstore to where i live: Kenchester water gardens near Hereford. They are giant and are only in a ten gallon tank, no shells, and with a thin layer of peat for a substrate.

Stevo.

18. emmac350

Ethoxyquin is much more dangerous than drinking water. EQ is both a preservative and a pesticide designed to keep food fresh longer and kill any bugs that eat it. Problem is, our crabs are close relatives of bugs and, thus, are susceptible to bug poisons. So no, saying a crab died from EQ isn't all that rare - a number of deaths labeled "PPS" are most likely EQ-related as crabs fed that substance may take several months to get it out of their system if not fed it anymore; if they can't get it out of their system fast enough or they are continuing to consume EQ, it will kill them.

19. Hermies4Ever

Thank you all for responding to my "Commercial Crab Food" thread! You were all a big help, and I thank you for your advice.

20. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

Can someone explain to me - in very specific terms and with supportive data why a "chemical" vitamin is of less biological value than a "natural" vitamin if they are the exact same molecule?

I put chemical in quotes because it is one of those words that should get everyone's attention when used. Everything is a chemical if it has mass and is made up of atoms. Water is a chemical. Vitamin A is a chemical regardless fo wether it comes from a polar bear liver or a bottle of synthetic vitamins. Usually it is used to bias a reader against a particular substance, despite the fact that some of the most lethal substances are not synthesized in a lab and are all "natural".

Keith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.