1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Collapsing Sand...

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by DaisyCrab, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I'm becoming very worried. What happens if a crab is burried and the sand starts to dry out and collapses on them.
    Here's my problem:
    I usually have to wet my sand once a week with salt water to keep it from drying out. I wet it and mix it around until it's just moist, the way it should be.
    Well, I have 5 crabs that are burried and I assume they're molting. So I can't do my regular routine. Now the sand under the top layer is really drying out in some spots, and me not knowing exactly where they're burried, I don't know if it has or will collapse on them.
    What will happen??? What should I do???

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

I would just spray alot in the one area and place some wet moss over the top to keep it moist.

3. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Ok, thats basically what I've been doing. I was just worried that they could suffocate if they were in mid-molt and couldn't get back up to the top.
    You'll have to excuse my paranoia, lol.

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I never have to do that--I wonder if your humidity is too low? The crabs always make it too wet--around the water section--and once in awhile I have to spray the sand down but you need to do this once a week--wondering do you have a bubbler that may help because as you said you can mess up a cave

5. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Usually the humidity in my tanks gets too high, the sand is drying from the bottom up. The top 2 inches is perfect, then it's like dry beach sand under that if I don't keep up with it. My under tank heater is drying it out.

6. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I put my UTH on the side. The sand in front of it gets real dry, but the rest of it is fine. Maybe you could move the heater??

7. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

It's one of those stick on heaters, it's a one time deal.

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Oh that explains it- what you can do is get a reptile combo hood- and the UTH's can be re-stuck 1-2 times.........I have done it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.