1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coconut

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by wanderingkat, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanderingkat

wanderingkat Hi, I'm New Here!

My hermie crew LOVE coconut. I couldn't seem to find any preprocessed coconut without sugar or additives so I bought an entire coconut in the shell (about $2 or 3). Drill a hole thru one of eyes with a pointy object and drain out the milk, then bake it in the oven until you hear it crack (20 or 30 min), then peel off part of the shell and merely slice off pieces for the crabs to enjoy. I put bits in their food every week and they go nuts for it, even forsaking worm castings for fresh coconut!! You can also use the coconut milk to mix in other dried food when you feed to make it more interesting. And just pop the entire coconut in the freezer between feedings. It will last for a long time so is really pretty inexpensive. If you have broken parts of the husk off and they still have coconut stuck to them just toss that in the tank as well. Crabs are foragers and will figure out how to get it off in no time. When the coconut is all gone just use the leftover coconut husk for a ready made hermie hidey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.