1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

tengo cangrejos ermitaños (Small Crab)

Is there a size at which a crab won't climb the silicon siding of a glass aquarium anymore? I am wondering about mine. Also, I am unsure but at this point a little worried that the ones in my 10g might have the faintest possibility of lifting the lid. Is this possible? Should I stick a dictionary on top to weigh down the lid? pics of their sizes are the first two pics of crabs on my link sig, labeled "one of the new guys" and "the one that won't come out when held". And the third one i don't have a pic of but he/she is smaller than the other two. I'm not really worried about the 55g because that lid is kind of heavy and the crabs in there are the same size as the ones in the 10g. But liek i said the lid of the 10g isn't as heavy, so can they lift it? Or is it that after a certain size tehy won't climb the silicon anymore? Thanks and sorry for long post!

2. Shiya

Shiya "Never Molted"

Are you having any problems with them climbing the silicon right now? Because mine were smaller than yours when they started out, and seem about the same size now, but I never witnessed any of them climbing the silicon. So, it might not be an issue.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

They can lift the lid so a book on there would help them not to. I've only seen small ones climb the silicone in my tank. Ya never know though, better to be safe then sorry.

4. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

Sounds good. See I knew those old books from school were good for SOMETHING! :) LOL Shiya, to answer your question, no I am not having problems with them climbing teh silicon nor have I ever had that problem, believe it or not. I was just making sure cuz I see so many horror stories of people whose crabs get out, and I just think that the "others" in my house may not appreciate finding a crab in their beds! LOL poor kid :( anyway thanks for replies

[​IMG]

5. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

i have a question, i keep reading that the crabs like to climb, but mine don't seem to be doing that. I have a 10 gal. with fake hanging plants and coconut climber that is attached to the inside back of tank?:confused:

6. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Have you thought of getting some driftwood or grapevine for them to climb on? Another thing my crabbies like to climb to is a shower caddy filled with reptile moss. If your crabbies are brand new purchases they may be in destress mode and not ready to do much of anything yet. They probably will begin to climb over time. Do they bury and eat?

7. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Mine don't really climb either and I've had them since September. One went through a little hyper-spurt after his molt. He enjoys this tower I made of string, climbs up, but then it seems like he just sits at the top for days! I wouldn't worry too much though. Crabs seem to have such different personalities!

8. msmarvell

msmarvell (Micro Crab)

wow....my two newest crabs are even smaller than that. I had a problem of my little guy climbing up the fishing net on the side of the glass and wedging underneath the lid between the silicon and netting. I now use a couple of hand towels to weigh down the lid and a heavy tape dispenser at the side. I am always afraid mine are going to escape.

9. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

mine have never tried to escape. well i did have one incedent where i had a tiny micro and during tank cleaning she managed to get out of the box and run away. that is the only crab i have ever lost.

10. msmarvell

msmarvell (Micro Crab)

[​IMG]here is little Q as he makes his way to the very top.

here he is at the top
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  11. crazy4crabs

teehee. my micro E does that too! she gets all the way to the tippy top but then she 'tank dives'

12. msmarvell

msmarvell (Micro Crab)

can they get hurt when they tank dive??

13. crazy4crabs

i dont know.. they always just land on the substrate so i dont think so...

14. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

as long as they don't land on anything hard like a food bowl or something, and you have a good amount of substrate, they shouldn't get hurt unless your tank is 5 feet tall :D

15. jtswife

ty for the info, yes they do dig and eat

16. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

i haven't had any try and escape, but am glad that i bought a tank with a lid and it slides and locks in place so don't have to worry about them escaping.

17. jtswife

wow, nice pics, where do i get nets for them to climb on?:)

18. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

i got my nets at walmart in the craft section. cheap and the crabs love em!

19. msmarvell

msmarvell (Micro Crab)

i got mine at the local shell store. My net is quite large and very sturdy. It costs about $4.99 or so.

20. jtswife

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.