1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Climbing Apparatus for larger Crabs?

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Crabbynana, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabbynana

Crabbynana Hi, I'm New Here!

A couple weeks ago I rescued 2 exlarge pp's that I am looking for things for them to climb. I have wood but they prefer plants. Artifical ones aren't strong enough to hold them. They literally pulled my humidifer wand and tubing off the wall and are always found in the morning wound around the plants. Suction cups don't hold them. What do you guys with larger crabs do for climbing things for this sized crab? Right now they are in my 75 gal tank with 4 medium pp's.

2. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Hi Crabbynana,
    I also have a 75 gal with 30 something Hermies in it. I have 2 large pieces of wood in their, I'm not sure what kind but it is usually sold for reptiles or terrariums at pet supply stores. I also have a 2nd level made out of plexi glass. I lined the edges with corks, filled the center with a light covering of EE then topped it off with moss. I hung from one side a strip of coconut husk for climbing as ladder, and on the other side of the shelf they can either get off or on my climbing onto the large piece of wood. Most of my larger guys are currently down molting but I have been noticing a trend in my tank, as soon as my Hermies come up from molting they are all over my second level. I am assuming that this is because they have those little black tips back on their legs which helps them to climb much better.

Here is a link to the post with pictures of my tank and second level/wood. The only difference is that the shelf in the picture has now moved to the center of the crabitat butted up against that piece of wood on the right.I hope this gives you some ideas.
    Jenn

http://hermitcrabsrus.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1960057772/m/2180047443

3. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

How about fishermans netting? I saw some at Wal-mart in the craft isle next to the sea shells. Only about $2. If it drapes down inside the side of one end of the tank maybe you could attach fishing line to it and tie it up somehow on the outside.

4. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

You can get fantastic all plastic and silicone suction cups at Michael's art supply stores. Probably other places too.

That's how I strung my fish net.

[​IMG]

You can see the suction cup in the upper left. They're pretty strong and you hardly know they're there. They cost $3 for two here.

5. Crabbynana

Jenn, your tank is awesome. What do you use to hold your second level up? I have wood in the tank but they don't seem to be interested in it and just goes around it. I used to have all my hermies that wasn't molting in the 75 gal but I won a bid on ebay for 11 crabs and after I iso'd them I didn't want two of the med's in with my small ones because he is aggressive so I moved my small ones to a 37 gal and have 3 med and 2 exlarge pp's in it now. I have 2 med down molting.

Kali_Ma, your tank looks great. Do your large ones climb on the fish net? I have those suction cups with vines and my med's pull them off the walls, even the smalls do it, but they love climbing on them.

Today, I went to the dollar store and got these locking huge suction cups someone told me about. I tried one on the outside of our bearded dragon's 55 gal tank and I almost pulled it over and they didn't come off. So, I am hoping these will work for the big guys. They like to sleep under the plants, so I am going to get more plants.

Thank you all for your ideas, I was really stumped as to what to use. I didn't want to aquarium glue anything to the walls as it is a new tank.

6. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

At first I had spring rods holding it up but the kept sliding due to condensation and the weight of the shelf. So I construced a shelf out of 4 12 inch dowels and a thin piece of wood for the top. The dowels go down into my substrate and the shelf sits right on top.

I have noticed that some of my larger crab don't climb on the wood or on the shelf, but I think it is partly because the tips of their legs are damaged and they have a harder time climbing. I am waiting to see what happens when the jumbos come up from molting. They just went under recently, I am hoping it won't be 6mo. till I see them again.
    Jenn

7. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Everybody climbs the fish net. I saw one of my jumbos grab a trailing end of it and scurry up it like a rope ladder.

The only trouble I've had with it is that you have to be careful how it's draped over the suction cups. If you leave folded dangling bits, I've found one of my strawberry jumbos gets caught in it. I had to cut him loose one night. It was made worse by the fact that he'd pulled into his shell and was holding onto the bits around his knee joint. I've since cut it down so that it doesn't have many dangling bits, except at one end, and no thick areas of gathered net.

8. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

How about getting a nice piece of wood and wraping a plastic plant around it? The fake vines are really cheap in craft stores/ sections and they look nice on the wood. I also have some mounted airplants on my wood.. I have to keep replacing them because they tend to nibble away as they perch in them.

9. Crabbynana

We are planning on going to the beach this week so I can look for some nice driftwood that will fit in my oven. That is a great idea about attaching vines around the wood. I have some wood but its not really fat enough for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.