1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clancy's antennae problems

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by LolaGranola, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

Clancy is a large PP I got who had been in a pet store for as near as I can figure it, at least a year. I got him in September and he was molting for the 2nd time, Probably due to the bad conditions. He turned into a major piggie, cleaning out the entire foodbowl at times and a favorite of mine.

He was molting under the waterdish and seemed fine. A few days before we left for germany he gave me a scare, I thought he was out of his shell (dug under) but it turned out it was a different crab digging around down there. So he got disturbed probably 24 hours or so after shedding his exo. I redug his cave under the waterbowl and replaced him and removed the offending digger.

Then when I was away we had all the temp problems. When I lifted up the waterdish the cave looked completely collapsed and I pulled him out, fished out the remains of his exo and put him in a cave topside.

Well he rallied and after several very still days is moving about the tank a little but this morning I noticed that his left antennae are a little worse for wear. The outside one is shorter and the tip is black. The inside antennae is visibly shorter than the right. Here are some photos, Ihad a hard time finding a clear one.

I can understand the long one getting pinched off but the fact that the inside one is actually physically smaller worries me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Had he thrown the inner antennae after the first molt with you? If he had, that would explain why it grew back smaller, just like a thrown leg.

3. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

Hmmm, I don't know, I'll go back and look at my pics of him, it's very possible.

4. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

The pic from his first day with me has both, this is after his first molt with me and I'm only seeing one.

[​IMG]

5. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Hmmm... that is odd. But if he's using it normally, I would like to think it'll be fine after the next molt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.