1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Citrus-Yes or No

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by HermieFan, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Do you give citrus to your crabs?? I found this article interesting.

Several of us experimented with offering hermies various citrus fruits, including, oranges, tangerines, lemons, limes, grapefruit and foudn in fact that they do like the sweeter fruits and in particular the flesh between the rind and the fruit.

We did this over a year ago and have no ill effects to report. I, in fact, still offer my hermies orange, tangering, tangelos & pumelo rinds. They love the white inner flesh and tend to leave the outer flesh and fruit uneaten.

Along same lines are tomatoes! Also FALSE. Whereas, tomotoes are not common coastal tropical fruits, they are enjoyed by hermies. My personal experience is the fleshier varieties are preferred, like Roma. As with citrus, they break through the outer flesh and consume the thick tomato flesh, leaving a mess of peel, seeds, and juice.

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Yes, I do give citrus to the crabs. I wrote a piece on why the myth started, that is included in a larger article at:

http://www.crabstreetjournal.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=108&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

I'm busy debunking all the current food "wisdom" which is turning out to be food "wives tales" in a lot of cases.

If you want to know more about food and feeding you are welcome to join my Yahoo group, too:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/epicurean_hermit/

All we talk about is food.

3. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Very awesome article Kerie. I have the perfect orange to put in the crabitat tonight.
    Jodie

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I have started saving the orange and grapefruit peels and when I am done with the fruit. I slice off the pith (white area between the fruit and skin) and let it air dry. I store it in air tight containers to give to the hermies [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.