1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Churchill - Thinstripe Hermit Crab

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by themetalcowboy91, Aug 21, 2012.

1. themetalcowboy91

themetalcowboy91 Hi, I'm New Here!

I brought Churchill home accidentally last week from the Indian River Lagoon, He is a marine hermie but lives in brackish water. It was hard to find information on his care but thanks to the Smithsonian Institute I found the info I needed to raise him. Though this forum is for land crabs I figured you guys would find him interesting.
    [​IMG]
    He has been thriving, went through a molt, and I even got to wittness his first shell change...the downside is my hermit crab addiction has cost me $200+ so far.
    [​IMG]

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome Churchill!

I'm glad you found someone to help. Feel free to post info for others if you want to. I've received emails before from people saying they brought home a land hermit crab when really it was a marine crab.

How big can they get? Looks like a pretty big shell he has.

3. themetalcowboy91

Thanks! :-D
    I'm not sure exactly how big but I was given that big shell in the back by a friend just in case he outgrows his current shells. The shell he currently occupies is an X-tra large land hermit shell from ZooMed, its just about the same size as his original shell. I added four Mollies as his tank mates, they all get along perfectly :) the fish swim right up to him and he hasn't went after them so far. I actually bought the fish just for him so that when they eat he can eat, since he's a scavenger the fish food seemed like a good idea. Its all natural and the pellets sink after a minute so whatever the fish don't eat Churchy is right there to scoop up.

When I found him I initially thought he was a land crab but I observed him for an hour or so, afterwards I started doing research on the local hermit crab species and found the Smithsonian's page for the Indian River. I went over the all species of hermit crab and their descriptions and concluded that he was a thinstripe based on the fact that he has two symmetrical claws and the white lines that run his body. I also found that they could live for several days outside of water which made me feel comfortable about taking time to figure out exactly what he needed to survive in captivity. The whole thing has pretty much been a science experiment since there isn't any information about raising a Brackish Water Hermit(or most brackish animals) on the web, so I figured I'd post my findings here and also get input from other folks who own hermit crabs both land and marine.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I know there's members who have fiddler crabs, and they need brackish water, I hope they chime in and give their input.

Keep us posted!

5. themetalcowboy91

So far he's doing great! The fish eat the algae off his shell and he still doesn't chase after them. I sunk a turtle basking platform in the tank, he loves climbing on it. Though the first time he attempted climbing it he flipped himself and I had to turn him back over. He hates the plastic plants because he can't eat them, I watched him yank on one with his claws until it was loose enough from the sand to float to the surface , I have to replant at least one of them everyday. So far Churchy has been very entertaining, he's very active, and has pretty much tilled the sand in the tank flat with as much as he moves around.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

When I had fish I would buy live plants from Ebay, they were cheaper and I got more then from a local pet store. Sounds like he has a great home.

7. TennesseeGal

TennesseeGal Hi, I'm New Here!

Oh my he's big! How is he doing now? He might appreciate some romaine lettuce

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow...cool crab...I like to watch them in the salt water tanks.
    (I feel you about the setup $$$)