1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris's New Adoptees..

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by polarrain67, Jul 18, 2006.

1. polarrain67

polarrain67 Guest

Chris got her new adoptees..
    I named the big one Captain  :clever66:  ( Captain Jack Sparrow), Just Capt. for short. Chris will be naming the other one soon. Captain is the blind one. Pictures soon  :scream: to follow. Crabby Chris has to do that photo bucket thing, since she hasn't shown me how to :steamed:. But I haven't ever asked how either :oops:.. so.. she'll be posting soon!
    Way to go Chrispy  :blower:( Chris)  Koodos for adopting some Crabs in need of a good home. So she is up to what 30 grabs or so??

Polar :hareiam:

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Yes Pics would be LOVELY CHRIS!!!!!!!!  :hareiam:

3. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

Chris I wanna see!

4. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

Me too! Me too!! :banana:

5. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey ya'll, I wanna show them off.  I stayed home from work today (mental health day, lol) and I was going to take the pics, post them and send some of the blind guy to Sue so she could check out his eyes.  Steph took my digital camera to FL with her so I can't do anything until Saturday when she gets home with it.  Unless of course I decided to buzz over to BestBuy (never a safe place for me to be) and get another one on my account there (I love that store).  I prolly won't but the idea is tempting 'cause I've been wanting a better one...  Hmm...

Anyway, not much to update on with these guys.  The blind guy, Captain, seems pretty blind but he gets along pretty well in the tank.  He's been mostly sleeping and resting though, not doing much really.  The other guy (still unnamed) must have felt perky last night 'cause he changed shells.

We are keeping our fingers crossed for these guys.  I don't think their conditions were TOO bad, but I found out the main thing is they were without salt water.  I'm not sure how long the lady had these guys nor how long they were without salt water, but Captain drank a long time in the salt water dish the first night.  I hope it does them both good.

I will post pics as soon as I am able.  Sorry guys.

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

That explains all those molt issues.....I am sure they will thrive and be well with you

7. CrabbyChris22

I sure hope so Herm, I hope so.  I just hope that they're not too stressed out from the lack of salt water and that they have enough strength to recover.

Thanks for the reference by the way.  It feels good to help out, ya know?  These are my first rescues so I hope it goes well.  Let me know if you hear anything else in this area?

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

HAHAHAAHa Chrispy...that is such a cute nickname...gotta rememebr that

Congrats on the adoptees!!! Go get the new camera.. :pffftt:

9. CrabbyChris22

I think I'm having a little success here and I'm excited.  Yesterday that little guy sat in the food dish eating silversides and red, yellow and orange bell peppers.  I never saw the blind guy go in, in fact, he seemed like he hadn't moved from his spot in 2 days.  Tonight though he ate big time.  I made a mix of mixed berry yogurt, cut up some frozen berries, walnuts, sunflower seeds and some of my 2 mixes I've made (one of them is a mix of one of the variety packs of Vicki's: spirulina, different leaves and roses and the other mix is a combo of freeze dried brine shrimp, cyclopeeze, daphnia, and blood worms).  Captain sat in the dish for nearly an hour, went to the salt water dish for a few and then back into the food dish again for a little while more.

I don't know if Captain will ever regain his sight, we're not yet sure what's caused it.  Sue and her contact might be able to tell better once I can get some pics but I am starting to feel a little better about their future now that they are starting to eat.  I figure with the more fresh stuff they can get in them and gaining energy and strength then I feel the better off they'll be.

Lol to you Vicki.  I told you before and I'll say it again; you're such an enabler.  "Yeah Chris, go get a new camera even though you REALLY don't need it...". :blowheart:

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

Well see you kinda do need it, since Steph keeps taking it. So c'mon Chrispy, go get a new camera :dancin:

11. CrabbyChris22

ROFLMAO.  I hadn't even noticed that she put in that nickname until you mentioned it the first time.  A friend of mine from years ago had a daughter who came up with that for me.  What's really funny is one of the twins came up with that about 2 weeks ago and no one had even known that it was my nickname from years ago.  I love that nickname a lot really, I even have a dart league shirt that has that name on it.  Go ahead and use it, I like it.

12. CrabbyChris22

Ok, so I've got updates (but no pics yet, I'll try tonight).  Both seem to be doing REALLY well, I'm so pleased.  Everytime I swap out their food I pick up Captain up to make sure he's ok and put him down near the food dish.  Almost every time he goes to the food dish to eat shortly after.  He's been kind of hanging out in a corner a lot but last night he appeared to be shell shopping so it seems he's getting some energy too.  Tennille (no idea what sexes either of them are but we just thought Captain and Tennille was too funny - Steph's idea) has gotten a little more active too going in and out of the food dish and climbing on the cork bark.  Her color is starting to get darker and more rich now that she's getting better food (she had molted shortly before I got her and was still quite pale when she came home with me).

I'm going to try really hard to get some pictures tonight.

13. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:shuffle: yup stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllll waiting for those pics--glad to know they are acclimating well  :shake:

14. CrabbyChris22

I actually took some pictures last night but didn't have the energy to download to PC and upload.  I'll handle that this weekend.  Captain comes right out for pictures but Tennille is a little more shy; had to take hers through the glass.

I think I'll introduce them into the big tank tonight or this weekend.  Everything seems to be going well and I haven't seen any mites or anything in the tank so I think all is well.

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

still waitimg Chrispy  :juggle:  :shuffle: :litenbla: :headscratch:

16. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OK I am confused why cant I go back and edit  my post above (typo)  :hitcomputer:

17. CrabbyChris22

Ok all (Herm-EZ and Vicki), here are the long awaited pictures.  Enjoy!  Oh yeah, Captain is the only one who will come out when I hold him so he's the only one with the good close ups, Tennille is very shy.

Click pictures for closer view!

[​IMG]  [​IMG]

See how big this guy is?
    [​IMG]

Here they are together.
    [​IMG]  [​IMG]

18. vckums

vckums Moderator

Ooohhh they are gorgeous!!  :blowheart:

19. CrabbyChris22

Thanks Vicki.  Captains color is kind of odd looking, very dark but not rich looking.  If you can see it in the pics, his BP is nearly black it's so dark.  I'm hoping that will get better if/when he molts.  Tennille on the other hand molted shortly before I got he/she and it's color is getting better.  It was kind of pale but color is coming back now.

20. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Looks good girl!!!!!!!!! YEAH CHRISPY!!  :dance2: :hail: keep us updated on their progress, thanks for posting them