1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chowing on the maple leaf

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by scoobdoo, Oct 21, 2010.

1. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

[img=400x299]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy78/scoobdoo63/SDC11783.jpg[/img]

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Love it!

3. scoobdoo

when I went to the pet store to get the meal worms I told the lady, hey you should get some maple leaves , they have to be dried out and can be all types of maple and stick in the crab tank they love them! She was very surprised and didn't know this and I told her ya I found this really cool forum and they have all these non commercial foods you can feed your crabs and I tell ya it cuts down on the cost of taking care of them a bit. She said she was going to get some and put in the tank. Sadly since I was in there about 4 months ago, the tank conditions are still extremly bad! only a scant of e.e for about 25 or 30 small ones, saw alot of painted shells again, dirty water 1 source. My b day is Nov 11, might go get me a crab just to get it out the hellish conditions!

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

The leaves dont really have to be dried out just bright in color. The more color the sweeter the leaf. The sugar content is why they change color.The ability to pass the glucose from the leaf to the tree is slowed and evenually stopped. The leaves change from the trapped sugar in the leaf. Once they start to die the sugar level will also.

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

In order to store the leaves for later use the leaves really do need to be dried.
    If not, then the moisture in the leaf will cause them to mildew very quickly.  :flower:

6. scoobdoo

well I will get them a few fresh off the tree leaves, maybe they store in the frig a few days? We still have a lot on the trees here.

7. hermanandhermynie

hermanandhermynie "First Molt In Progress"

Can they only eat maples leaves? What are the leaves they can and cant eat

8. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

To the left it says 'other sites' go to the EH site. click on safe and unsafe food list. then the second one down will say ' safe and unsafe wood list'. You will find your answers on all kinds of food they can and can't eat.

Had to take the maple leaves out. Thats all they were eating.

9. scoobdoo

I have noticed that to, walking over the food dish going to the leaves. I got some bright yellow ones, today if its not raining after the library job I will run and get some red maple leaves fresh fresh fallen from the tree, they haven't had that yet. I'm leaving them in there though for awhile, they're crabs they eat other things if it's in  there. In the wild they don't have someone hand feeding them, telling them now little crabby you didn't eat your meal worm today so no maple leaf for you. Sorry but that just popped into my head! I'm not making fun of you Trixie! Guess it was the mother/preschool teacher aide that came out, and that funny vision just popped up! I like all my hermie friends and love all the advice, I'm a very light hearted good natured person with a very silly personality

10. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

Not to change the subject but I thought you guys would like this child story!hahaha.  Scoobydoo you reminded me of it when you said you were a teacher and mother.  My friend has a 5 year old son. They went to dinner the other night and the child talked non-stop about how much he loved the food and how he wanted to take some home etc... Some time after that night, my friend goes to do laundry only to find a ravioli in her son's pocket!!  He did indeed take the food home BUT he did it his way!!! :biglaugh:

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I know. You are a good person scoobdoo. And we all make a good team. We do a pretty good job at sticking together and setting a good example for the new team members.
    I guess I do treat them like children. They are all going into the begining premolt stage. Two went under last week. I do think they need the leaves for nutrition and energy to help them molt but wow they are eating these leaves up and not touching anything else.
    Dutch (my fav) walked over to the food dish and just sat there for a while. I think he was wondering where the leaves where. so I put in 3 leaves and he walked right over to them and was there munching for 2 hours. He did'nt even get skittish when I was watching him with my face up to the glass.

12. scoobdoo

:huggies: I treat mine like kids to! :hahahaha: I scold mine when they are being bad, I talk to my cat, the frog and the betta.

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I talk to my Betta too! LOL