1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Chill-out spots'

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by imported_Sterwick, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

I have noticed that some hermit crabs in my tank like specific spots in the tank such as on the ocean rock, the area where the shells are situated and in the corner of my tank next to my driftwood.

Has anyone else found that?

I think it could be a territorial thing or perhaps after spots so they can molt, swap shells etc. or for some other reason on the same lines.

Any ideas?

2. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Yeah some of my crabs have hang out spots too...My E Eva likes to just sit in this boring spot next to my coco hut...before I rearanged my tank, my PP Ralph liked to squish into a hole inside a giant piece of coral! I think it's pretty normal that crabs have their prefered spots.

3. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

same here, many have their preferred spots. Also my hermits seem to group together with friends. I always see the same two or three hermits together. I have little groups of hermits around my tank. Two of my Es in particular are always together.

4. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

funny little traits these hermit crabs have! :)...

In some senses they sure do seem rather intelligent considering that they are only crustaceouns (sorry for the poor spelling!)

I find it very interesting that some tend to have specific personalities...

5. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

My crabs like to be on a big chunk of spider coral that they can climb on.

6. heidimr2

heidimr2 Hi, I'm New Here!

i have 4 purple clw, i have had them for four days now . i have to that bury together in the day and 1 who sits alone in the day in the warm and 1 who stayes in the colder part of tank. why are they choosing the colder part i thought they liked it warm?

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

It just probably means that for the time being he's enjoying the cooler part of the tank. They'll do that as well as be in the warmer part.
    What is your temp in your Crabitat? :flower:

8. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

PP's are also called tree crabs because they spend most of the day in trees off the ground safe from predators and rising tides. I find that if you give crabs a any type of tall wood branches this tends to be a favorite nesting or perching spot. I took a soap dish caddy and filled it with dried leaves on the bottom and oak bark pcs. lining the soap dish to mimic the crabs behavior in the wild and they all pile in this new favorite spot.
    IBlab crab

9. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

I have 3 pp's they all have their own hang out spots, They are funny together, they sit so I can't see their faces and face each other. They are like little secret agants or something. :eek:mg: :dontknow: :fart: :saberfight:

10. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

My crabs hang out on the cholla log or in the middle-left of the tank.
    On the cholla they stack and sleep together
    and on the bottom left 3(PPs) of them form a triangle and it looks like they're talking.
    Thanatos(E) lost his species buddy so he runs around the tank chasing crickets by himself.
    He's kinda a loner anyways!

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Mine have many places to hang out. The wild grapevine jungle gym, two large cholla woods,basking plateform,the mesh sheet with grapevine garland weaved into it, the sheet of corkbark on the other side, all the silk plants or hanging upside down on the screen lid. Anywhere but on the ground. The only time they are on the ground is to eat,drink,change shells, or dig to molt.

12. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

mine are in the shower caddy & now crabby paddy has taken upon his self to be the one who sits in front of everyone to block the way down, so I need to arrange a n other way out again.. big bully!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.