1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charging

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by OneOnion, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Oh. I had not even thought of that meaning the whole time. I only thought of them ramming into each other.

2. adoin

adoin Hi, I'm New Here!

Try carefully introducing them to each other. Be ready to separate them in case another fight breaks out. They might get used to each other in some time and get along just fine.

3. cococrisp

How have they been doing lately?

4. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I separated them and I decided to let Storm calm down until the 20th. It seems like it's working, though. No more trying to climb onto the ceiling. :)

5. cococrisp

Great. I've never had a crab climbing on the ceiling. I think they'll be good if you just wan=it a while.

6. OneOnion

Oh yes, when I give them all a bath to smell the same, is it just a quick dip or is it like leaving them submerged for a minute? And what about the molting crab(s) I have in my main tank? I won't be able to bathe them..

7. cococrisp

You should not bathe your crabs. You can but it causes unessesary stress. Don't bother the molting crabs. If the crabs have someplace that they can submerge they will bathe themselves.

8. OneOnion

No I mean once when youre introducing new crabs to get them to smell the same like Laughs o Lot said.

9. cococrisp

Oh I thought you meant that every week or so you bathed them all to make them smell the same and I was sort of confused. If you introduce another I don't think you have to bathe all of them.

10. OneOnion

Okay. When it's time to let Storm meet the other crabs I'll just let all of them get a quick dip in the water(like 5 seconds so there is barely any stress) for them to smell the same and then put them in a shoe box for a few minutes to observe them and see if theres any aggressiveness to (or from) Storm.

I decided to give Storm a second food dish with peanut butter and honey along with another food dish that is different every time because (1)Storm loves it and (2)it's a good source of calcium, and I don't want Storm cannibalizing other hermits.

11. cococrisp

You should get a little block of bird calcium stuff. it'll keep their calcium up and lasts a really long time. When the crabs meet each other I just bathe the new one but that's a good idea. You won't have to bathe the ones that are molting.

12. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

OneOnion, if it were me, after the 20th, I'd give the crabbies a quick dip to help them all smell the same, and I'd put each crab in the tank as soon as their dip was finished. (except the molters of course) I wouldn't put them all together in close quarters because by the very law of nature, there may be aggression.

This way they have the whole tank to explore without the pressure of "someone in their face", because most likely everyone will be going their own way for a while looking around.

You're doing right by keeping them seperated...keep up the good work! :)

13. OneOnion

But what if Storm starts bothering the other hermits when I'm not there? There's all these dark hiding places in the tank where I won't see Storm if she's doing something bad. And If Buster and Deadly are still buried by the 20th, Storm will be the biggest one in the tank.Maybe a big box to keep them in for a few minutes?

14. cococrisp

Watch them for a while every day. At night you can keep an eye on them if they are in your room. I keep their light on and spy on them.:eek: Mine are SO shy. They should be fine. I would not worry. Keep them seperated until Storm is out of ISO.

15. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

To help destress her you should just leave her alone,and try not to handle her to often other than you need to (food,water,cleaning the tank,ect.) and she should destress within a couple of weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.