1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charging

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by OneOnion, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Ok. I'll admit it. I did the wrong thing. But this is important. Ok. So, I saw clinger walking around in the main tank and Storm walking around in the ISO. I decided to let both of them meet each other early, since they're both E's and that was the reason I got Storm- so Clinger could have a buddy E. So I took them both out and put them on the couch facing each other. Storm came out first- she just stared at Clinger. Then Clinger came out. As soon as Clinger moved a muscle, Storm CHARGED right at him!!!!!! Clinger flipped upside-down and Storm started trying to pull at his BP. Before Storm could do any damage, I pulled her away and put her back into the ISO and Clinger back into the main tank. Clinger's fine, walking around normally. My question is, WHY THE HECK WOULD STORM DO THAT???????? I thought they'd get along perfectly. They're not even the same size, Clinger's smaller, so it couldn't be a shell fight. But I swear, Storm was tugging at Clinger's BP like crazy!!!!!!! It was so sad...

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Let them watch each other. It might take some getting use to. Once Storm is out of ISO try doing it again. Watch what they do and keep an eye on them. They might take different sides of the tank. How big is it? If they are together in a tiny tank nad mad then that's not a good idea. It's best when one can go away. Try again later and see what happens.

3. OneOnion

The main tank's a 10g. I didn't put Clinger in the ISO, but I put both of them on a couch. Are you sure I should try that again?:confused: I wouldn't want Storm ripping Clinger apart. :/ Maybe Storm was so glad to see another E that she tackled him? Nah, that's unlikely.

4. cococrisp

Ok. First put them next to each other with glass in between. Make sure they see each other and keep them there for several days. If they don't act aggressively put them several feet away from each other outside of the tank. If they charge you will have time to gra one.

5. OneOnion

Should I do that, like now? When it hasn't been a month yet? That's why I said I did something wrong, it wasn't a month yet. But that's a great idea. But I need to look for some glass. Wait, won't they just, like dig under the glass?

6. cococrisp

I mean put the tanks next to each other so that they are each in their own tank but can see each other. If you have to separate them in the end plexiglas is a lot cheaper. You can buy it at home depot or lowes and they will cut it for you.

7. OneOnion

I tried it again and it looked like they didnt care about each other. Clinger was pretty wary about Storm, but Storm didn't seem to mind. So I put Clinger into the ISO to see what they'd do. So far, nothing. But I'm going to check again right now.

8. OneOnion

They started fighting in the iso again, but I decided to wait a few seconds to see what would happen. It turns out that they weren't trying to kill each other, but it looked like they were trying to establish a hierarchy and find out who's better. So it looked like Storm climbed on top of clinger and stayed there, and Clinger started chirping. But I pulled Storm away and put Clinger in the Main one and Storm in the ISO one. Should I put Clinger in the ISO again and let them fight and Clinger will surrender? I don't know what else to do.... Storm wasn't pulling any body parts of Clinger, she was just standing on top of Clinger. Is it just crabs establishing rank or something like they're long lost enemies of the beach or something?

9. cococrisp

How much longer does Storm have? Wait till he is out of ISO. You want Strom to destress and all while he's in ISO. Once he's out give them a while to watch each other and socialize. Storm might have been stressed out and thought that Clinger was an enemy. If you think about things for a crabs veiw he's going through a lot of stress. Give him a while to calm down and get out of ISO. THey can watch each other throught the glass and get used to eachother.

10. OneOnion

Good idea. I'll just put the tanks next to each other until it's time.

Oh yeah She has 20 more days in ISO.

Wait but how do I make her settle down? So like, no more handling her? Will that make her settle down?

Also, does anyone else have an idea of what's happening? Anything will help. :)

11. OneOnion

I have a great idea to get Storm to calm down! I can buy crickets and put them in the ISO and Storm can hunt them down and eat them! I heard doing that will stop a crab from attacking another crab. I heard they like to eat pill bugs, too, and that pill bugs can eat leftover food that crabs drag out of the food bowl and even eat some mold! And pill bugs live in warm and humid environments, so it's perfect for a crabitat! I'm not sure you can buy pill bugs, though, so I'm just getting crickets at the pet store.

12. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Whoa OneOnion!! Don't go anywhere yet....I'm a slow typer so just stay put for a minute so I can talk to you.

13. Mckenny

Ok...first of all slow down and take a deep breath.:)

You have to remember that the conditions that the crab came from were most likely less than desirable.
    There was a whole lot of aggression going on most likely, poor food, no water, over crowding, not including being boxed up and shipped to the store. It's amazing they do as well as they do.

You need to leave her alone in ISO for the next 20 days. Provide water dishes, good food, shells, and a place for her to hide. Make sure the heat and humidity is good, and then let her get used to her new surroundings at her leisure.

Some of the foods that will be especially beneficial are crushed cuttle bone, raw or organic honey, dried or unseasoned shrimp...tail and all (pull back some of the shell if it's a cooked one), dried leaves, unseasoned popcorn, boiled or scrambled egg, egg shell, and whatever you feed yours.

Offer a variety, but remember, not too much, it's only just the one crab. You can cut a piece of shrimp and put in the dish if you don't have any dried, or if you don't have any, the above provides a lot of choices.

Let the crabbie adjust in quiet...it's very important, especially since it was stressed out more by meeting a potential rival in Clinger. She will calm down and get used to things.

It's all going to be ok...you were excited for them to meet, but it was just a little too soon. I wouldn't put their crabitats together for now...give them both their space to adjust.

Hang in there...:)

14. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I agree with Mckenny. You should leave her in the ISO so she could destress and stuff. THey were probably establishing rank as you said, but it could also be because they smell different. When you introduce crabbies you're supposed to bathe them together so they smell the same. You could put the tanks next to eachother, too, like cococrisp said.
    Just wondering, why is the title of this thread charging? lol

15. OneOnion

Thanks, Mckenny. :) I'll find a quiet place for her to be. How about in a closet? It's dark and quiet in a closet. But is it cruel to keep an animal in a closet?

Because Storm was charging at Clinger. But I guess there were better words describing what Storm did, though.

16. Mckenny

I think the word "charging" probably described it very well.:D

Do you have any other place to put Storm besides a closet? They need the day and night cycles, and putting her in the closet may confuse her even more. I would put her out of eyeball range of the other crabbies, and she should be ok.

Ummm...you did say it was a she didn't you?
    After my mistake with you I thought I better ask.:D

17. OneOnion

The tanks are in different sides of a room, so it should be ok. Also, yes, Storm is a she. But she keeps moving around and never goes in the hiding place I put in for her. And she moves around for what seems like most of the day and night. I don't know how to get her to settle down...

18. Mckenny

Just leave her alone, make sure she has everything she needs, and just be patient. Keep an eye on her of course, but they know what they need to do. :)

19. cococrisp

If you keep her in the closet you will have to use the lights and turn them on and off in 24 hour periods.

20. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Ohhhhhh! I get it now! Wow I totally forgot that meaning of charging. The whole time I was thinking of the other meaning, as in charging up a cell phone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.