1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Shells Frequently

Discussion in 'Shells' started by krystie, Nov 2, 2008.

1. krystie

krystie Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey there everybody (my first post here)

Well I am just getting into crabbing and have set up my crabitat!

I'm in australia so I will give you the timeline of events in Australian time.

Last saturday afternoon I went to the pet store and came home with 3 crabs - they are about medium size??? I got one of the plastic small tank things (as pet shops do *rolls eyes*) but because i had done my research; i knew it'd make a good iso tank so bought it anyways. Despite of all this; i did have my thermometer and hydrometer in there and over that 12 hour period my humidity and temp were perfect :p

The next day I went off and bought my sand substrate (pet shop gave me wood shavings - as they do) and a new 2 foot tank. Added my sand, my water dishes, my food into the new tank). Except while I was at the markets getting the tank I fell in love with another crab - a purple pincher :p so he went and joined his new friends in the new tank. They were instantly at home and having a whale of a time together. I also got some driftwood and put that in for them.

Monday came 15 new shells (i did have some before but not as many) and a hut, some trees, a piece of netting along the wall some cuttlefish and a giant scallop (name?) for bathing.

They had such an awesome week together getting to know each other and their new crabitat.

This past weekend just gone I have added 8 more shells and 3 new friends :p and given the crabitat a bit of renovation for practicality.

However, although they seem very happy (they love their toys; they love each other), i have had my purple pincher have shell changes and I don't mean one or two as new shells have been introduced: I mean ALOT!!!!

Sunday when I got him home and into the crabitat he changed shells within about 10 minutes (which makes sense as his shell was way too small for him).

he really liked his new shell for a couple of days until Wednesday I discovered him to be in a new shell again (which was fair enough because again; he upgraded in size); THEN about an hour later he got some buyers remorse and went back to the previous one. About 1 hour after that I saw him checking out another shell - watched to see if I could maybe watch the change but alas, he figured out I was there and got scared. Came back to him half an hour later and he's in the shell he was window shopping :p

And then on friday night he changed to another shell again.

At first I thought it was so exciting that he was changing shells and that I was doing something right because it's a good thing (especially since purple pinchers are always looking for the perfect shell) but now I'm a bit worried that this is getting ridiculous and I'm doing something wrong :(

Should he be changing THIS much? Is he just changing so often because I keep adding more shells and he has to check out every shell?

Do i have enough shells (i have 23 total) about 12 of which would fit him nicely.

HELP!

2. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

:welcome:  Every crab we bring back from a pet shop changed shells for a few days.....we had one that changed 3 times in a 24 hour period....I think they're just so happy to be in a new and better place with new shells.............like a kid in a candy store. :banana:

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Hi Krystie,I recieved 3 new shells today. My dominate female Mrs. Crabs went right to them. With only one new shell she has changed back and forth from her old shell to the new shell and back again at least 10 times today. With only one new shell! Then another hermie wanted to get in the action 'Bandit' He is sticking to her side like glue just waiting to pounce on the shell she leaves behind. Then came the 3 spectators. So all 5 of my hermies are watching the face off between Bandit and Mrs. Crabs for hours. When you get new shells they can not help themselves. Its like a drug. They will try them over and over again untill they get so tired they cant change shells anymore. So if your hermie finds his shell and then sleeps for a couple of days dont be worried, Hermie is just sleepy.

4. krystie

krystie Hi, I'm New Here!

thanks so much both of you!!!

I feel better knowing that my crab isn't being too spoilt for choice and taking advantage :p

He's been a lot more settled last couple of days still very active but only one shell change in 3 days! He's given the opportunity for 3 of my other crabs to change shells - so they've been getting lots of attention. I'm sure he'll get fed with that soon and want some of the spotlight back!