1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Shells BEFORE molting?

Discussion in 'Shells' started by hermanandhermynie, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermanandhermynie

hermanandhermynie "First Molt In Progress"

would my hermit crab change shells before going down to molt. My hermit crab just changed shells and has a black thing on his abdomen which I think is a molting sac not sure though couldnt really see.

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I think they change anytime they feel like it, LOL! I have had some that have changed then went missing a few days later.

3. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

yes, they do that =] they change anytime, but they will change before molting. My smallest changed around shells and is now underground right now =]

4. hermanandhermynie

hermanandhermynie "First Molt In Progress"

Right now he doesnt look to good. Hes just sitting on the calcium block not moving at all. Before I tried to pick him up and he was holding onto it. Hes not moving and its scaring me. Could he be doing a surface molt? Why?

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

if he isn't the only crab in the tank maybe you should get him in an iso tank with enough of the bedding to cover him up when he digs { I stirred my bedding up to air it out and made it easy for them to tunnle in} , with shells, honey or peanut butter in a small lid, put the calcium block in there to, and the waters. get it coverd up and not bother him. just do a peek a book and see if he is o.k. then cover him back up. I read they need it to be dark, quiet, warm and humid or they get stressed. I only have to use mine to take the new molted crab out before the bully crabby paddy gets to him, & it's only just him that will go to rip out the crab and want to take the shell or maybe want to eat him, hasn't got that far { yet} but I have to take the new one out stick him in iso a few days then give him a bath then I can put him back and no one bothers him anymore, if I don't have time to get to him then I stick the bully in iso.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.