1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed shells!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by OneOnion, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I got the shells I bought from eBay yesterday and Buster one of my hermit crabs changed into one! it's much bigger than the one he had before.:)

I've also one of my hermit crabs eating the back of another hermit crab's shell. I've also seen some of my hermit crabs eating sand. is that normal? o_O

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Hermit crabs tend to nibble on everything they can get their claws on when they feel like it! Once Honey tried to eat the carpet! :eek: Congrats for the shells! :) Maybe some food was on the other hermit crabs shell. This is probably okay, unless the shell is painted, of course.

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I've heard of crabs eating sand. Funny. I have not heard of eating their shells. Puzzling. Maybe to get some extra calcium. Still funny. I'm glad he changed shells.:) One of mine is in a huge shell and I can barly see him in it when he tucks in.

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wait. If I were you I would boil them. Or wash them in the hottest water around. Sometimes they have mites and stuff. I mean the shells.

5. OneOnion

The shell he was eating off of was the shell that the hermit crab came in. I also boiled the shells I just got, too. And before I gave them 1 bath a week until 2 weeks later when I found out that bathing them is bad.

6. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Well, actually, bathing them is not bad, but can be stressful if you do it often, and isn't really necessary if you make sure to give them a fresh dechlor water pond they can completely submerge in. Every time I change my fresh water, Wembley, a medium Equadorian, goes for a swim. He loves walking around in the fresh water pond which is almost twice as deep as he is tall. :) I have pebbles sloped in so they can easily walk out.

7. OneOnion

Speaking of water bowls, I have one shallow water bowl and one deep one. Which bowl should I put the dechlorinated salt water in?

8. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I'd put the ocean salt water in the the shallower pond, as they seem to like submerging in the fresh pond. Just make sure the ocean water pond is still deep enough they can dip down and fill their shell if they need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.