1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cayenne Pepper Kills Mites!?!?!?

Discussion in '~HCRU Hard Drive~ - Carved In Stone' started by HermitPaws, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

ok i've been doning some research and found a book called "1001 All-Natural Secrets to a Pest Free Property" by Dr Myles H. Bader

and under mites it give the identifion but, also said how to get rid of them.

it saids quote "Mix 2 tablespoons of Cayenne Pepper, with 3-4 Small drops of liquid Ivory Soap in 1 quart of water. Mix well , then place in spay bottle. and spray Area with mite infestion....."

Would this be a safe way instead of baking the sand?
    would the pepper or soap hurt the crabs?:confused:

2. Kyxoan

Kyxoan "Preparing For First Molt"

soap is bad for crabs.... Which is why when you clean the tank initially before putting anything in you do not use soap. And I would imagine pepper could be bad if it's mixed in substrate. I believe they can eat fresh pepper. but mixed in it might get in their eyes or in their shell and irritate them.

3. HermitPaws

Any 1?? i would like to know because m ymom will not let me bake sand (that is if i do get mites)

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Should by chance you get mites, just throw out the sand and buy new. Playsand is the cheapest, $3 for 50 pounds.

Bellpeppers are safe for crabs. I am unsure on the cayenne but would advise against using it.

5. HermitPaws

ok thanks for the sand tips

6. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

Just lmake sure when you get the new sand that there isn't a "diesel-like" smell to it and if there is go somewhere else to do your business because sands contaminated with certain chemicals can harm crabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.