1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cavipes

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by CJ, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] Thank you moire and Kerie for identifying the cavies. I knew they were something special when I happened past the crabitat at the pet store and saw them. I just wasn't sure how special. Although I wasn't there to get more hermit crabs, I just had to bring them home. [​IMG] Now I hope I can provide good care for them. I am naming them Indigo and Jawa.

They are both down to the bottom of the tank under the EE. I have left them completely alone and take a peek at the bottom of the iso tank to see if they're still okay (signs of movement, no dropped legs, no funny odors, etc.) They ate and drank the first night and have been down under the EE since. Now, of course, I worry about them, especially since I can't see them! [​IMG]

They have food, water, humidity at 75% and temp at 78 degrees. Do I want to keep the humidity any higher?

Any particular suggestions on the care of a cavipe?

Poor Bob, all alone topside in the other tank, up after his molt with lots of energy, looking for his tanks mates, and everyone else snuggled down to the glass in various stages of molts.
    [​IMG]

Now it's time to get my pacing slippers out! [​IMG] Thanks for "listening" as I wait and worry about all the molters, and the new babies.

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I had a purple Cavipes that I got within the first month I started crabbing. He died after two months. I don't know if I could've done more for him if I'd been more experienced. I have a red Cavipes now, and he seems to do fine with the same treatment as everybody else. I wonder why there are so few Cavipes out there in the pet trade? Are they not collected in large numbers, or do very few survive to reach stores?

Cavs like babylonia shells, so you might want to offer some of those. My current Cav is in a fox shell at the moment, which is quite cute. I wish I had a picture uploaded, but I will never get my site moved if I keep uploading pics to my old domain! I've had him for about nine months now, and he's molted a couple of times. I keep my tank temp between 75 and 78, and my humidity between 78 and 82.

Check out Robin's blog at www.crabbytalk.com. She has a couple of Cavs and has made some posts about them. She might have some insights.

3. CJ

Oh, I'm so excited! At the beginning of the week I was at Michael's Craft Store looking for shells for the other hermies. I found a bag full of babylonia areola in many sizes along with assorted green jade turbos, which I believe is what my E's are in and refuse to change out of. (I'm still learning about shells!) I wanted to give them larger choices if they prefer one type.

Thank you for the link. My main crabitat is at 78% humidity and right now at 75 degrees. I will bump the iso humidity up to 78% as well.

One of the searches I found on cavipes brought me to these links (seemed interesting and made for a fun name for the hermie!) http://www.wildsingapore.com/chekjawa/text/s324.htm

this one with a pic of a purple cavipes
    http://www.wildsingapore.com/chekjawa/largfoto/s324-1cx.htm

4. Putertutor

Putertutor Hi, I'm New Here!

You rang? [​IMG]

Hi All!

My cavipes (I have three) don't require any special care. Sometimes they tend to be a bit shy, once my largest cavipe, Houdini was a bit aggressive. When aggression occurred with my cavipe I just gave him a bath and all was fine. Vicki gave me her Cav because she downsized her tank. She had mentioned an aggression issue with the Cav and I recommended the bathing and all was fine after that.

Two of my cavipes have molted with me. One buried in sand, the other in the moss landing. Both were successful molts with no issues. Their colors are gorgeous post-molt with a good diet.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. You can always reach me @ http://www.crabbytalk.com

Robin [​IMG]

5. CJ

[​IMG]Thanks, moire and Robin!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your
    replies!

Robin, your website is wonderful.

6. Putertutor

Putertutor Hi, I'm New Here!

That's so sweet! Thank you very much. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.