1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cav or E?

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by Shadow, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Shadow

Shadow Guest

The last great mystery to me, at least of the US available species... The cavipes. I've gotten down ways of identifying all of the species, except the cav.

One of the new guys I got last week puzzles me, and I have a suspicion that it's my first Cav. I took a few pictures (albeit crappy ones, as the camera had no macro setting) of the crabbie in question...

Side view of eyes... orange-reddish eyestalks, with a bit of black (doubt it's a ruggie)
    [img=800x600]http://home.comcast.net/~shadow51689/Unknown1.jpg[/img]
    Nearly black legs...
    [img=800x600]http://home.comcast.net/~shadow51689/Unknown2.jpg[/img]

I know the pictures are crappy (did I mention that the camera didn't have the ability to do a half shutter focus?), but my camera problems will hopefully be solved soon by a nice Canon.  ;D

One other thing that confuses me about this suspected Cav... He's by far the most active of the group. Quite outgoing, and has yet to bury himself... Aren't cavipes usually quite shy and diggers?

I'll get some better pictures when I get the new camera!

Edit: Also, you'll notice that it's antennae are incredibly short. What's left of the inner antennae is all black, and very stubby, not a trace of red. He's also missing half of the left shield leg...

2. oimsofunny

oimsofunny Guest

The picture kind of looks like the newer species that they now have in the US, due to a mix of all the different colors and mixes on it. What does the Big Pincher look like? Is it shaped like the other hermies or is it longer? Like a pair of tweezers or needle -nosed pliers? If it is, that is the new species, I cant remember right off what they are calling them.. But they are VERY active too..

Sabrina

3. I don't believe I've heard of this newer species to the US...do you have any more info on it? 

as for the crab, I'm guessing cav, but closer, clearer pictures would be more helpful.  The redish eye stalks are the biggest thing, and then the body shape of your crab is very similar to my cav, who is the typical shy/digger...  Since you just got him, maybe he's just exploring everything out and will then calm down when he feels comfortable, kind of an opposite destressing!

4. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I think the new species is actually large c. compressus. People are calling them calico crabs, but that is the word that Bob Gardner came up with for them when he was the first to market them about 20 years ago. From the markings and distinctive features, calicos are compressus. There is no new species. Just a marketing gimmick.

I can't say for certain, but it could be a cavipes. I'd need a good shot of its eyes and its main claw to tell for sure, though.

Edit: not all cavipes have red eyestalks or antennae, either, or at least the red is so washed out it's not noticeable. I got one cav at EBV that was black and orange and I thought it was some weird rugosus, until I asked someone else for help with the ID.

5. Shadow

Shadow Guest

Well here are some better quality pictures with a better quality camera lol, one that I can finally call my own.  ;D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honestly with these last couple pictures (lol noticing things in the picture I didn't notice while actually taking them) I'm leaning more towards an E...

6. jasso

jasso Guest

Yeah, it looks like E to me.  A very good looking E at that.  ;)

7. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Definitely a compressus, and what rich color!

8. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

A very beautifully colored E!!!  Congrats!!!

9. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

now that is a beautifully colored crab.  i want some Es, dangit!

when am i going to get another dancing crab above my avatar????

10. Shadow

Shadow Guest

When ya get to the next "rank" (50 posts) or become a moderator lol.

Thanks everyone for the comments! I've got another E who was questionable at first, but now I'm certain it's also an E (Riven's "Cav", if you remember Vicki). I'll try to get some photos of him/her too.

11. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

Def. and E!!  He's really cute!  :icon_colors:

12. queenofthecrabs

queenofthecrabs (Small Crab)

What a cutie!!! I agree you have an E!!! :hello2: :hello2:

13. MAD

MAD Guest

I want an E!!!!!
    lol....

I cant find them anywhere

14. Matt

Matt Guest

I've had 3 at one time, but like the rest, drop limbs, die. I am never going to buy another single at petsmart again.