1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat Food/Dog Food

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by ItsMeg, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

Cat food and dog food are supposed to be an excellent source of protien. . .

or so I hear.

My cats eat Purina for indoor cats.

What's everyone's opinion on this matter?

Meg

2. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I also saw somewhere that you could feed wet cat food to crabs--like the canned stuff, tuna and whatever. Is this true??

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OK- I will sound snotty here but I used to run dog forums as well previoulsy-Here's the deal if you can buy it in a supermarket/walmart etc its not really good food-hence the recall on the dog food was primarily all that supermarket food. If you want your dog/cat to live long and healthy then put good food in. Good in- good results- we can certainly attest to that with our crabs..........

Now the only food that was ok per Epicurian was Natural Balance dog food rolls which I happen to feed my dogs- I dont give it to them (crabs) often but they do get it once in a blue. (its like pepperopni type food in a stick form)

All that crap the vets endorse is all kick back food. Science Diet and all is JUNK! etc etc

4. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I didnt' think that was snotty at all!!! I really value your input, as you are much more "in the know" than I!! :D
    I really appreciate all your advice, suggestions, and reccomendations!!;)

5. Savage Destiny

Savage Destiny Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm going to back up Hermez on this one! I work as a groomer and in a high-end natural pet store, and I've gone through dog/cat nutrition training as well as having done my own research. If you can buy it at a supermarket, it is not good food! Its also really hard to find decent food at places like Petco/PetSmart. All the big name brands- Pedigree, Science Diet, Iams/Eukanuba, Purina... just not good foods unfortunately. :(

6. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

I feed my dogs nutro is that a good food? I will be really upset if I have been feeding them junk.

7. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

Nutro is ok not the best..best in the pet store
    Good foods are found at shelters here.
    I feed my dogs California Natural.
    I go to the shelter to get my dogs food...there is a store here that sells the good stuff but it is a mom and pop store not a chain.

As far as the crabs go...I donno...good idea if it is ok.

8. Kaelink

Kaelink "Never Molted"

I wouldn't suggest dog food.
    I live with a vet and apparently, they spray what is essentially fat onto the dog food (so it's tastier) and add things to the cat food that make it smell stronger (since apparently cats can't smell for squat).

I've fed cat/dog food to crickets, but I don't think I would trust anything like that to my crabs. ^_^ I always read the ingredients list and if I can't pronounce, I don't buy it. The same goes for my groceries.

9. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I believe this topic has come up for debate before. The consensus was that it was not okay to feed the crabs. Some of the preservatives they use could be harmful to our crabbies.

10. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Can I recommend switching to any Chicken Soup foods (i.e. Chicken Soup for the Cat/Dog Lover's Soul)? Those are really good for your pets. :)

11. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Higher end foods I think are preservative free- I will have to read my Natural balance label

From their website:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Finest Ingredients for the Health of Your Dog[/FONT] Natural Balance® Dog Food Rolls contain only premium ingredients: USDA inspected meats, no by-products, (an excellent source of protein), and dried kelp (an excellent natural source of vitamins, mineral and trace elements). The high quality animal fats (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, source of vitamin E, and ascorbic acid – vitamin C) helps your dog have a healthy skin and a shiny coat. Highly palatable, Natural Balance® Dog Food Rolls are very appealing to both the owner and, more importantly, to the dog.[/FONT]

Wow now they have organic
    New! As fresh and healthy as the barley fields shown on our bags, Natural Balance Organic Formulas® are GMO free and never sprayed with pesticides. Natural Balance Organic Formulas® use only free-roaming, humanely treated, antibiotic and hormone free chicken, with a wide range of organic ingredients for the highest standard in nutrition for your dog. Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]COMPLETE AND BALANCED FOR ALL BREEDS AND LIFE STAGES.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients: Natural Chicken, Organic Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Organic Oats, Organic Millet, Organic Barley, Organic Sorghum, Organic Potato, Organic Peas, Organic Canola Oil, Organic Flaxseed, Chicken Fat (Naturally stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Organic Carrots, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Mixed Tocopherols, Organic Spinach, Organic Cranberry, Organic Tomato, Yucca Schidigera, , Dried Kelp, Organic Parsley, Organic Rosemary, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Taurine, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Inositol, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-2, Biotin, Potassium Iodate, Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Sodium Selenite.[/FONT]

12. Kaelink

Kaelink "Never Molted"

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Copper Sulfate is a fungicide/pesticide. I guess it really depends on how much is actually in the dog food, but in regards to crabs, I really wouldn't chance it myself.
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Choline Chloride is an ammonium salt and can be found in laundry detergent as, I think, a disinfectant.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Other than that, that food is actually healthier for even humans than some "natural" foods you get at the grocery store. :D
    [/FONT]Still wouldn't want to chance it with crabs, though. May be just me.

13. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

where do you find chicken soup foods?

14. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Good to know- I dont know why Julia Crab said it was ok then.................

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

more mom n pop stores - on-line etc- that is a good product too. If you have a pets plus they carry it

16. Kaelink

Kaelink "Never Molted"

I'm assuming that the chemicals are in small enough amounts that no damage is really done. :p
    I'm also really finicky about giving my crabs anything that might, at any point in time, had pesticide on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.