1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carrots...

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by NewlyCrabby, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewlyCrabby

NewlyCrabby "First Molt, A Success"

:dancebear:
    Hello,I have a very simple question,due to the fact that i have a major --->:brainfart: I completly forget do hermit crabs eat carrots?If so how do you prepare it for them??

Also what other food do they like?I know about penut butter,i want to start feeding it food instead of this commercial stuff(t-rex brand,fruit and flower crab food) well thanks for every thing!

2. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs Guest

yes they love carrots, and carrots allow crabs very bright colors

3. crabbycrazy2

crabbycrazy2 "Second Molt, A Success"

I like the dehydrated ones Vicki has in her store. You can feed them dry or rehydrate them in declorinated water in the microwave. Or you can get organic ones, rinsed in declornated water and feed it to them raw. Cut up the rest and freeze it in the freezer for another time. Hope this helps! :yes2:

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Even carrot baby food! There's a safe list posted here, check it over and see what's in your fridge. It's pretty easy to feed these little guys!

5. NewlyCrabby

Thank you everyone :)

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 Guest

Peanut butter needs to be the unsalted organic stuff, just like popcorn has to be air popped w/o salt and butter. Also watch out for sulphur dioxide and preservative found in many dried fruits. My crabs like oats, corn meal, unsalted raw sunflower seeds, unsulphered coconut, apples, tangerines, unsalted pecans, baby carrots, bananas, pears. I know some people tell how bonkers their crabs go over honey....the natural stuff. I made s simple dry mix out of coconut, raw sunflower seed kernals, corn meal, and five grain rolled oats and put it in an air tight jar. At feeding time I just scoop some out and put it in their dish. I usually put some fresh fruits and veggies a well. You might browse the safe foods list just to get some ideas...also, they like hard boiled eggs and egg shell for calcium. You can also scrape some of your cuttle bone ove rtheir food dish.

7. crabbee

crabbee "First Molt In Progress"

Carrots-yup! Raw, frozen (thawed) or cooked (without any seasoning or anything)...mine eat carrots any of those ways. lol

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OOOHH then they poop nice orange poop! :yes2:

9. crabbee

hahahahahahaha! :full:

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I am NOT full of it- I have pics to prove it after all I am the addictions poopologist!!

11. crabbee

Oh, I won't dispute that! lol ...and hence, why you are full of it. :tease1:

Ok, smarty pants...prove it. I have never (in my all of less than 3 years of crabs) never seen my crabs poop change color...no matter what I feed them. :idunno:

12. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Ill let it go that you dont know me very well :rubhands:
    [img width=300 height=165]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/vicfish/geico018.jpg[/img]

FYI poop can be white from cuttlebone--red from whatever else- black- brown and of course ORANGE! :chuckle: amongst others

13. NewlyCrabby

Okay,thanks everyone,also,does anyone know where there is a list of edible food for hermit crabs?
    I want to start feeding them a variety of freash veggies/fruit,but i don't know what ALL they can eat!
    Well thanks again
    :rockz:
    :CrabbinQueen:

14. crabbee

lmao Is that piece of orange poop in your hand? :hahahaha: Ok, ok, did I mention my very short period of time with crabs? lol But, I have never seen it change color, not even with the amount of carrots, mango or tomatoes ours have consumed (my husband loves to make and eat mango salsa. for a while he was eating it nightly and making it every 3rd night or so lol and my husband AND kids love grape or other small tomatoes and carrots so we often have those in the feeding dishes, too).

15. This may sound strange but my hermit crabs don't like carrots! Or anything else hard for that matter! They love raspberries and grapes so far. Also I would give fresh garbanzo beans (chickpeas) as meat if you are affraid to leave meat in the tank over night. I am affraid they will get salmonela! Mine will probably like babanas and I know those are on the safe list. As far as hand feeding goes, my best hit was raspberries!

16. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

My hermit crabs don't like eating carrots just like that. But, this might sound a little wierd, I grate the carrot up with a cheese grater which makes a carrot mush, and then add honey to that mix and they LOVE it. maybe you could try that :)

17. NewlyCrabby

Thanks [: they have been eating - and loving carrots for over a year now. !

18. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

http://www.epicurean-hermit.com/index.php?board=21.0

19. NewlyCrabby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.