1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't find thread..??

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Chris30507, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris30507

Chris30507 "Never Molted"

OK.. I been looking for an hour...
    I KNOW I saw a thread on here the other day where 'someone' had built a moss pit (or something) out of plexiglass or the like.
    Seems it was shaped like a triangle, and it was stuck to the glass with suction cups in the corner of the tank....

I give up... I am beaten. I can't find it.
    Can someone point me to where this thread was. I have a question I want to ask about that thing. I am making my own, and need a little advice. Be pretty cool to have a 2nd story.
    Also I'd like to know where you get those hammock looking things that stretch across the tank and are held up by suction cups.
    I was thinking of having one of those in the tank, and it being the way they got to the 2nd level moss pit...??

2. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

Hermit Crab Addiction - ORGANIC HEMP NETS
    Vicky sells the nets.
    Not sure about the thread you saw.
    I have a second story..I used a bath product from Walmart for it and it is a corner one...I used a cholla so they could climb up to the second story.
    Dont' mind my Lego tree...lol I am paranoid the second story might loose suction and fall on one of my crabbies. I have a lot of children here and needed to make sure they would not be hurt. I have brown pieces to it but need to find one of them...so one day it will look more like a palm tree than a lego tree...lol

Attached Files:

3. Chris30507

thanks or the info on the nets...
    I'll have to get more info on them... I'm curious if they are the 'exact' length of a 10 (or whatever_ gallon tank,.. if they would hang down so they could use part of it as a ladder to get up then go across the tank or what.

As far as the 2nd story deal. thasnks for the info on that also. If I am thinking correctly someone made a 'homemade' one It was a triangle shape, and about 2" deep. I was thinking it was one of the moderators, but I'm not sure...
    Maybe someone else will jump in and point me in the right direction

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yeah it was me who did the thread. I had built one out of plexi glass. It was a prototype and I had sent it to a crabber to test out for me. Unfortunately I have to tweak the next one. If you can't find the plexi glass, I have a local store that sells scrap pieces for 50 cents each. I can cut one for you, but you'd have to put it together. Shipping the pieces flat is cheaper. All you need is aquarium sealant.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

I also wanted to share, I had the company bend plexiglass to make 2 corners for a customer. They came out AMAZING! Only thing is they were expensive, due to labor costs, the plexi is cheap. They do sell the item that bend the plexi for you, just not sure I want to do that atm. But I gotta admit they were really eye pleasing and the customer really liked them.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

7. Chris30507

Aw Vckums I THOUGHT it was you that did that... but couldn't find the thread for the life of me.
    I made me one,.... Had some plexigalss around here.
    Made if on the scale of yours,.. but since it's going into a 10 gallon tank I made it 5 and 7 on the sides.
    My BIG (really BIG) question is Where in the world did you find the suction cups. I been all over the places I live, and all I can find are ones with metal or plastic hooks.
    Can't find any with screws I can put threw the plexiglass...
    HELP..??

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

You don't need screws. Just drill some homes and use the plastic suction cups to hang it. That's all I did for the other one. The locking suction cups work the best for it. I found the locking ones at Target in the shower section. Feel free to ask any questions, I'll help the best I can. You can also just push the end part of the suction cup through the hole you drilled for it, and skip the hook part all together. That was done as well.

If you can take a picture I'd love to see it. I'm glad your crabs can enjoy a dock! You can make more and use them for levels, I find my crabs all over mine.

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Chris, I had gone to the plastics store. Guess what I saw there? Plastic screws! If you want some let me know. They had 3 sizes. I doubt they are expensive.

10. Chris30507

yeah guess what...
    After I went to all the trouble of building my OWN little corner dock...
    I went to my local target to buy some plastic suction hooks, and some suction cups...
    They had a plastic corner dock about like I made..... no price on it. They sold it to me for $4... and it CAME WITH 4 suction cups already attached.

SO I just bought it. If I expang some time I can still use the one I made.
    But for now this one is good... Only problem is this one has tiny little holes all over the bottom of it (it's for the shower so water can drain out)
    Maybe it's NOT a problem... maybe it is good for the moss to 'breath' and will help it to not mold..?? I'll just need to spray it I guess

Salt or regular water??

11. Chris30507

OK Vckums
    I'm gonna give you a chance to advertise your store...LOL
    I need to ask about you hemp nets.
    I see you have 10 gal size, and also 29 gal size..??
    I was planning on getting a net and putting two hooks on one side of the tank... and on the far side of the tank put the other two hooks.
    As far as the 'length' of the nets, how long ar they when stretched out.
    The length of a 10 gal tank... or is extra left or what.
    I'm wanting to put my dock in the corner,.. then put the other hooks next to it,... and have the net... then have some net net hang down to the floor on the FAR end of the tank...
    then they'd have to crawl up the net,... across the netting the length of the tank to get into the moss pit on the '2nd' floor (stuck to the glass).
    I figured I keep the netting pretty tautlike a rope bridge so it wouldn't droop... so I was just curious how long it was and if I needed a 10 gal or 29 gal..??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.