1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannibalism. :(

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by marmaladechainsaw, Jan 29, 2011.

1. marmaladechainsaw

marmaladechainsaw (Micro Crab)

I found pieces of exoskeleton (looked like a bp) on top of the substrate just now. My mum attempted to vacuum my room today and she said she seemed to have disturbed them as they were all buried and not active and didn't continue once they acted differently. I don't have any dead crabs. I redid their tank because all of them were sluggish, but active, on the surface. I let them crawl around in water while I did the tank and then submerged them fully once I was done. I'm worried about my smaller ones being picked on by my medium sized crab, Momo. He was picking on my jumbo, Kingler, and trying to pry some of the smaller ones out of their shells. He was extremely aggressive toward me when I offered him a piece of apple and was ravenous. Did he molt and some of the exoskeleton scattered? He seems a different colour... Or maybe it's just me hoping I had my first molt. I didn't disturb them at all once they were under. I also found a stump of leg that looked like it belonged to a small crab. It was the very end of the leg. Ugh... What do I do? I gave them lots of honey, peanut butter and freeze dried mealworms all mixed up into a gallon jug cap. I'll be frying scrambled eggs in olive oil with peanut butter and mealworms tomorrow. I also put in a larger water "pool" (tupperware dish) with stones at the bottom and a piece of cholla wood. Please advise me!  :hermzpoo:  :idunno:

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Do you think the pieces came from a crab on the surface or in the substrate? How big is your tank and how deep is the substrate? How many have you got burried?
    My husband brought in a skill saw to make a new computer desk. I had what was then a small crab burried in a 10gal that was on the floor and she was fine. I vacuum all the time.

3. marmaladechainsaw

I'm almost positive they came from my medium-sized crab. It was a large bp and his colour, and he was under for a while. I don't know the measurements, and a few of my smaller crabs went under last night.

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

if you don't have any empty shells then you are o.k. someone has molted and that is their left over exco.  When my crabs molt I have to give everyone a bath to make everyone smell the same & no one smells yummy anymore { get rid of the death smell} & thankfully I only have 3. I have a bully to & I just had to run to the basement not 20 min ago & get my tank and put my molter in there cause he was starting to dig him up need I mention it's 2 a.m. here! night owl I am! I sweep the floors, I have surround sound, listen to my fly leaf full blast, I have never noticed this bothering my crabs at all.

5. marmaladechainsaw

Alrighty. Everyone seems to be doing okay right now. By the way, will it hurt them if a candle was lit near their tank?

6. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I don't have candles right near the tank, but I do use a scentsy warmer about 20 ft away from them and have had no troubles