1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canned Tuna? & about freezing babyfood?

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by shmama, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shmama

shmama Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi, my very first post here.
    I was wondering if Tuna Fish in Spring Water (just a little of the flakes) would be alright? :confused:
    I also got a small jar of Gerber Chicken Meat baby food to try, but was wondering if I could freeze most of it in small increments to use as needed (thawed first before serving)?
    I am also curious about frozen raw green beans, broccoli or cauliflower?

I am pretty new to all this yet & am just beginning to have some success so am trying to be really cautious about everything. :) Peanut Butter has been a hit as well as wheat bread bits, green grapes, raw baby carrots, pure honey, FMR fruit treat, a couple of types of crab cakes, tortilla chips (once in a while), fish food flakes, Krill treat/food; I also keep a few different calcium sources available.
    I have had :(NO LUCK so far with bananas, cooked plain chicken breast-shredded real small, dried apricot shreds, soaked dog & cat food kibble (or crushed up dry either).

I have 5 small (but not tiny) hermies: Gotham, Nova, Jade, Echo & Frett ~Thanks~ Shmama :D

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've offered mine tuna and baby foods. They are fine. Is there anything added to the frozen veggies? If its just plain veggies go for it.

You can freeze the baby foods and any other for future use. I use ice cube trays. Once it's frozen into a cube it goes into a freezer bag.

Id skip feeding them ANY FMR foods and dog and cat foods, as the ingredients are harmful.Tortilla chips are a no as well, they have salt on them. Table salt can harm your hermit crab.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator

Do you know for sure your crabs are not eating? I remember when I got my first crabs, I expected them to eat loads of food, when in reality, and they only eat a very small portion of what I was offering them. What they eat was barely noticeable. Of course it might have been the fact that I gave them half a banana. :)

Jason

4. shmama

shmama Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you very much, Vicki & Jason, for your quick replies. I will gladly use your advise. It IS hard to tell sometimes if they have eaten, I have been watching very closely & it seems like the smallest 2 crabs only eat about once a week & the larger of them quite a bit more often. I am a late nighter & also wake up pretty often so I been checking on them with a mini black light periodically & have caught some cool activity including my first shell change last night [although I left Nova alone as soon as I saw what he was doing]. I also started out the crabitat with a (Reptile) half log with bark on it & then read that those are made of Pine (although the label says nothing of the type of wood they use, but it kind'a smells like pine), so I took it out right away...but one of my larger PP's had already been picking at the bark & had died shortly after that (not molting, but crab was pretty new at the time)! I got the rest of them a hermie hut & a plastic sand castle hut instead & they love them. (None of them had ever gone under the half log & I was wondering why not.) Has anyone heard of these being harmful? The pet store has been wrong on a few things so far!
    Thank you so much for your input. :)

5. reader101

reader101 Banned

I have always found that the first 3-5 days of newcomers was spent in gorging and burrowing to destress. Once in a crabitat situation, I found my guys (all sizes) might only stuff themselves once every couple days (the smaller visited food dishes daily). Water visits are daily.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  6. shmama

shmama Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you for your reply. :)
    My last few newbies did that as well.
    I don't think mine like the babyfood much, but man, they eat up the pure honey fast. I just ordered six new organic foods from Crab Addiction on ebay, I'm anxiously waiting to try those out & I won't have to worry about any added chemicals or anything.
    :rolleyes:I have definetly learned that most of the hermies just mainly need time to adjust & patience is pretty much mandatory on my part.
    ;)

7. reader101

reader101 Banned

Wow! Sounds like you learned the very first rule of crabbing, key word being patience.
    Try being a little more imaginative when it comes to natural foods. Eating an apple? Toss a couple bites in. Shrimp? Save the exo, tail, (unseasoned); eggs? Shells are excellent source of calcium! Most foods, with few exceptions, can be found in your own kitchen. Hermies are scavengers - your leftovers are filet to them. I love putting sereveral different clam shells of different foods around the tank - fruit, home mix, fresh veg., just to watch them run from shell to shell! Great exercise for them, and remember to change their diet every day.
    You're doing fine!
    P.S. Check out the foods forum for a lot of info on what's good and what's bad for hermies - a wealth of info.

8. shmama

shmama Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you. I have yet another question, Can they eat too much pure honey? That is the one thing that gets eaten completely every night lately & I love to indulge them, but don't know if they might be getting too much of a good thing, especially since I noticed Nova being a regular at the shell first every night. :confused:
    I received my order already from Hermit-Crab-Addiction & Highly Recommend them for a great source of organic Crab Foods, they ROCK! I put a big variety of new foods in last night, but after I saw Nova hog the honey & go back to the hut, it appeared noone else did much with the other items yet. My hermies are still mostly fairly new & pretty shy (my Equie being the only one who seems pretty comfortable with me & he -Frett- went under last week as soon as I put an underground heater on the tank & hasn't been back up that I know of since). All the others either blockade themselves in the huts with empty shells or run to a corner or underground when they see anyone coming. I don't handle them a lot yet, but I always talk to them quietly when they are out & respect thier privacy as much as possible. I do peek in with a little blue light a couple times a night though. I was looking into getting one of the nocturnal mini lights -either red or blue moonglow, does anyone know about those? I just would like to see them better without stressing them out. :cool:

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

They will eat what they need. It's not like we do, where we crave things. They eat because they are lacking something. If they are eating it, keep feeding it.
    I've heard of someones crabs sitting in a food dish for 2-3 days with the mangrove meal. The crab then went down for a molt.

10. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

wait they eat what they need? Thats weird cuz I havent seen any of my crabs eat anything out of the treat bowl all week. I have had oats, peanut butter, bananas, celery leaves, barley, cherry tomatoes, carrots and even asparagus and they go for the fruit and flower t-rex food instead. does that mean its better for them than the fresh foods?

11. reader101

reader101 Banned

Re. your question about lights - definately! I have a system of (underwater approved) leds (4 moonlight, 1 red, 1 green) mounted on the outside of my large tank, and the hermies love them! Completely adjustable, and great for night viewing. As long as the lighting comes between you and them, they will not normally see shadows, and they are stimulated when the lights come on in the evening, as they know food will be served soon. I leave them on until about 4 a.m. and frequently check in without them even knowing!
    Not cheap to set up - made by NOMA, the Marina micro led aquarium line will run about $50/3 lt. set, but virtually lasts forever with leds providing the lighting. To operate a 6 lt. setup takes less power than a night light bulb!
    Happy hermiewatching!

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

The problem with the commercial foods, like Trex, is they add a phermone(spelling?) that makes the crab go towards that food. The fruit and flower is not good for them. Ditch it and give just fresh fruits, veggies and meats and you will see a difference!
    Not all commercial companies have to list the ingredients, but most have EQ or copper sulfate which is harmful

13. crazy4crabs

OMG! I didnt even know that! I guess I should really do more food research before I feed my crabs poison

14. reader101

reader101 Banned

Going back to your question about canned tuna...there are a lot of debates due to the fact metal is detrimental to the hermies. There are so many other alternatives that are beneficial (and inexpensive). Fresh is always best. I also believe they eat what their bodies crave for each phase of the life cycle. O/w, why would we be providing them with such a wide variation of diet, rather than just your basic daily crab food?
    :confused:

P.S. - the moonglow lights also stimulate the crabs to come out and do their thing, as they are nocturnal and respond to night simulation.

15. crazy4crabs

why shouldnt she be providing variation? crabs enjoy it when you spice up their food. would you like to eat the same thing every day for the rest of your life?

16. reader101

reader101 Banned

If you reread my posting, that was exactly the point I was trying to make. I've already answered your question about eating the same thing every day and the need for variety, and my postings will definately back up the support of variations of natural foods. Please read back on the pertinent thread. I am in support of hermies eating what they need to in order to satisfy their body's needs at the time.
    Should you have reason to take an offensive to any postings, please take it up directly with the webmaster and myself personally.
    I have no intentions of continuing argumentative, sarcastic (unnecessary) postings of any sort on the forums.
    Shall we get back to the topic at hand?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  17. shmama

shmama Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you all so much for your input. This is definetly the best place to learn what works & is safe for the little critters. I've already seen many fatal mistakes taking place in more than one pet store lately! Yesterday, a pet store employee told me that it was o.k. to clean tanks with toilet bowl cleaner or limeaway if you rinse it well & I told her I would never use chemicals, just vinegar & elbow grease! I think people should have to have several care classes with updating mandatory before they are allowed to taint knowledge with ignorance while working at pet stores! I've worked for a few veterinarians over the years & still try not to give advice to anyone as I am not up to date on new information like the vets are (supposed to be). I feel so bad for all the poor creatures that have to suffer just because good, caring people have been misguided on caring properly for them!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  18. reader101

reader101 Banned

I've asked just about all pet store (hermies) employees if they are on a website for hermit crabs. 95% of the time, the answer is no. That gives me an idea of just how much the supplier knows about lhc. As for the chemicals suggestion...did you consider contacting the store manager about training employees?
    I agree that prospective hermie owners should almost have some sort of license showing responsibility, like parenting classes.
    You are likely more informed than the vets you worked with, so don't hesitate to say what you think. Unless it's an exotic species vet, dogs and cats are the main extent of their practice.
    Just a suggestion about using vinegar - it does work well, but being acidic, you might want to rinse after with a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid.
    You can do something to help the hermies taken into captivity by sharing all the knowledge you have with anyone involved in hermies, whether it be vendors or purchasers.

19. shmama

shmama Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi again :)
    Can anyone tell me if dried Thailand mango (my husband picked up a bag at the grocery store today) that has sulphur dioxide added as a preservative as well as Sugar (I can rinse off first) & citric acid is safe for them? I am too worried to try it. I just ordered some more organic foods today & have plenty of other organic & fresh stuff, but read that Straws need mango in thier diet. Husband also picked me up a big Yam (natural & raw)...How do I go about feeding them this? Can I freeze raw yam in portions for later? I figured I'd wash & dry it, cut it up into small chunks & wrap it really well individually then put the little packages into a nice thick freezer zip bag. Any ideas?

20. lindseyandryangotcrabs

lindseyandryangotcrabs Hi, I'm New Here!

i'm sorry but i've never heard anyone talk about Strawberrie crab's what are they any one know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.