1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canister for the pond (tank re-fit)

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by MAD, Jan 18, 2006.

1. MAD

MAD Guest

Alright, nothing special, the tank dosent look all that different, I just added a canister filter for the 5 gallon pond.
    I had to bury it, so servicing it is going to be a pain, but hey, I need a clean pond for peace of mind.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didnt have a whole lot of time to hide the filter, but it works, the carbs crawl all over it like it was a rock anyway, I think they like the heat.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I like it! Why the refit?

They are smart crabbies

3. crystyle

crystyle Guest

Your tank look awesome.

4. wow, the tank is great!!!  How did you get it water-tight?

5. MAD

MAD Guest

Thx yall  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Pea, the pond was made by cutting two pieces of layered 1/8" plexiglass to fit, with standard silicone aquarium sealant.  (I tried this before with a single wall, in which the stress from the substrate pushed the plexiglass inward, rupturing the seal.  The result was mushed substrate, along with two drowned crabs. I was NOT happy that day.)  I made a wedge shape this time, and so far it hasnt given me any real trouble. 

If you do this, may I suggest doing it outside, the sealant stinks to no end, lol.....

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Cool tank............ :icon_thumleft:

7. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

MAD, that's an AWESOME tank!  :icon_thumleft:  I've thought about doing a pond or something so they could check out the water by themselves but my tank isn't big enough.  What size is yours?

Man, come do one for me, ok?

8. polarrain67

polarrain67 Guest

:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:Your tank ROCKS! come do ours! WOW I want a pond too. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

9. MAD

MAD Guest

I am tellin yall its cheap to do this!!!

A sheet of plexiglass, sealant, and the hand cutter only costs about $15
    (A metla yardstick helps, but isnt tottaly neccessary

Dont let the guy at the hardware store sell you all the added stuff that is "needed" (C-Clamps, Ect, )

(I am gonna make a ramp out of the leftover Acrylic, I will post a proc with pics later)

10. crystyle

crystyle Guest

:idea1: for the 75 gallon I'm getting.  Now I just need more crabs.  Eight little crabs in a 75 gallon seems like a bit much.  I'd probably never find any of them. :sad11: