1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you buy live fish for Hermies???

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by crabbiepants, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbiepants

crabbiepants (Micro Crab)

When I am at the pet store they have these little tiny rosie gold goldfish they are like 4 cents each I wanted to try giving them one in there water bowl to give them something to try and catch and since I clean the water bowls everyday I didn't think it would be a problem EXCEPT that they are feed the fish food at the pet store. I was thinking they probably catch little fish in the wild so why not. Is that a problem and can I try this? Anyone ever heard anything about it?

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Never heard of putting in live fish, but if you try it and it works, let me know! I know they are scavengers, so they may patrol the beaches for already dead fish, but who knows.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

They dont "catch" their food. They aren't predators. They will eat a dead goldfish if you place it in a food bowl.

4. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Hermit crabs yeah they are not predators. But u can feed them dead fish. I don't like feeding mine fish

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've not fed goldfish, but I've fed other kinds of fish. It's very beneficial for them.

6. crabbiepants

Well then I will go after the fresh sea food and leave those little buggers alone... Vicki I ordered a bunch of stuff from you the other night so maybe I won't have to worry about food for very much longer. Thanks everyone for the input...

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

It's good to give them a variety, I tend to keep a dry food dish and a "wet" food dish. The wet dish is fresh foods. A couple different things to let them see what they want.

For instance tonight they have sun dried shimp and some new dried fruits(will be in the store soon) and someone ran off with a cranberry! The fresh dish has tuna, pineapple and carrots.

8. crabbiepants

Thanks Vicki I will do that they have two different dishes one with the castings and one with what ever fresh stuff I put in there. I can't find a salt free peanut butter only low sodium so I didn't buy it. Can anyone tell me were I can get some of that?

9. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Vicki has it in her store.

10. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

I have got to buy something from your store soon or ASAP

11. crabbiepants

Great I will take another look in Vicki's store for the peanut butter...:)

12. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I use a peanut butter I found in the grocery store called Crazy Richard's...it's "100% Natural" and contains only "peanuts".

13. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

If you want to use a freshly killed fish for food, try as hard as possible to not use goldfish. The conditions they come from at the breeders arent the cleanest, and keeping that many fish that produce that much ammonia together is never a good thing.

I purchased a dozen guppies about six months ago and have always had enough to feed from for the three pets that get guppies. I'm feeding probably third and fourth generation guppies and I know exactly how they have been raised, that no chemicals were used in the water and what they have been eating.

14. crabbiepants

Oh cool I have guppies that are breeding constantly so I guess i might try that one day.:)

15. crabbiepants

Thanks for all the input. close thread:)

16. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Just an observation, but I dont think its necessary to ask for a thread to be closed. I've never seen a thread closed on this site unless a moderator decides so to stop an argument, etc. Otherwise threads remain open.

17. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

if you have problems with food, you can give them a lot of household food as long as it's natural...

you can give them coconut, natural peanut butter, unsalted and unbuttered popcorn, egg shells (take the membrane off the shells), and even the egg it self (I feed mine boiled eggs).

you can also give them green beans, lettuce, celery, apple, pineapple, and every once in awhile, you can give them dry cat food. mine love it!

18. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

Fish is great, but dead goldfish? they start to stink really quick and the bacteria may get your hermies sick. (I know this for a fact, I got this poor little thing out of pitty at a fair and a while after I got it it died on me and I didn't know till the next morning and GOD DID THAT THING STINK! good thing I brought febreeze with me to the funeral service I held. May he rest in peace.)

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

With crabs the smell is what attracts them to the food. The stinker the better. Leave some raw fish or meat on your counter for a few hours. I defrost mine in the morning by leaving it out. Once evening comes in goes the stinky fish. It becomes a mad house in there

20. vckums

vckums Moderator

Another thing, hermit crabs eat decaying matter. I doubt that a smelly goldfish would be harmful to them. They've been known to eat a horse/mule for like a week after it died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.