1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we all say "SUCKER"

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by vckums, Mar 27, 2006.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

I went to a salt water aquarium store today, looking for off the wall stuff. I came across a tank of shells. Lookie what I found AND bought.

[img=300x225]http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2046/img20592gr.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2766/img20681bj.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1430/img20696sm.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9931/img20663ss.jpg[/img]

2. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

Awww, what total cuties, are your other E's feeling intimidate?

3. 2step

2step Guest

Oh, they're SOOO cute!  Now, you have to share where this place is, for those of us who just *might* be addicted to E's...    :wave:

4. Lisa

Lisa Guest

Why yes, yes we can:

SUCKER!!!!

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

lol

I'd share but you'd have no luck. The guy got them in the store only becuase his daughter wanted some. He said most of them died, he only sold a few. I got a discount on the last 4. Keep fingers crossed for them!

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:angel12: I will second  that! They are in good hands!!!!!!  :icon_thumleft:

7. jsrtist

jsrtist "First Molt In Progress"

Aww, they are so sweet! Our store (where I used to work) just got in a shipment of large Es like that too. I had to walk away.  I just cant have anymore!

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Youre in Cali right??

9. jsrtist

Yep, in Fresno. I was in there yesterday again and there are still tons. I feel so bad that I cant save them. :( If you feel like taking a trip (or want me to send you some!) just let me know.

10. humm...fresno isn't that far, only a good 250 miles!  Hey, that's less a tank of gas each way, with spring break coming, I could do it...maybe.  how much are they each,  how many do they have, and how big are they exactly?  I'm really considering that now.  If I could talk one of my friends into going up to the sequoias for a day, we could just stop by on our way back! 

11. jsrtist

Oh that would be great!! They are $8 each. Too bad I no longer work there or I could get my discount! They are approximatelyâ?¦ golf ball size, maybe some larger? Many have changed into turbo shells out of desperation. They were in really poor land snail shells. They were so old I couldnt even ID the shells. The crabs are just beautiful. You know my avatar on HCA? They look just like my Big Calico Crab.

Let me know what you think. There are 2 cages of them (maybe 50 crabs?) and they've been there maybe almost a month by now. (Oh and I'd hold off on the Sequoias till after the snowstorm!!) I  know some have died because I see empty shells and legs in there. :( You will probably be appalled by the conditions. Since Im not there anymore there is no one putting pressure on that department to keep them up, no one sneaking them treats and saltwater. :(

12. I wish I could, but it's unlikely I will actually make it up there...  =(

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hmm I gotta map how far Fresno is from Fremont...

14. Shadow

Shadow Guest

Approx 180 miles. :tongue3: Yeah I got bored and actually looked it up on MapQuest.  :laughing5:

About another 10 miles for me.

15. vckums

vckums Moderator

ok Shadow, LOL, since you looked it up I will pick ya up and we go E shopping  :tongue3:

16. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

I have to ask this question about Es.  Do they ALL come in shells too small for their fat juicy legs to fit into?  It seems like every one I see can't get into their shell.  Take for instance the BIG one I got last weekend; he couldn't even tuck his eyes into the shell, he just hid them under his legs and the 3 mediums all can just barely get their eyes tucked in.  That's what your new guys look like Vic, like they barely have their eyes tucked in.  So, is this a common thing?

17. jsrtist

All the Es I have ever bought have been that way, and most have changed very quickly in their new home when provided with proper shells. In their native environment, most of those shells don't get too large (nerites and such) so I think that is part of the problem, along with shell shortages. I have gotten several Es in very old, worn down shells that have been through many generations (where the inside whorls are completely worn down).

The last time I bought Es I had to choose only 7 out of over a hundred, and the only way I could decide was by bringning home the guys with the worst shells (including the cutie in my avatar, who later changed to a roomier tiger moon shell).

Vicki and you guys, PM me and let me know if you're coming! I'd love to meet you. :)