1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can they eat Fresh crickets?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by shelbers91, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

I have a medium critter carryer and I'm thinking of keeping a handfull of crickets (at my desk). And i know you can feed dried crikets, but what about fresh? Not live, because hermit crabs cant catch them and i dont want to risk an impregnated female reproducing in the ideal crabbitat, But rather if one drowns could i give it to the hermies or you think i should put it on a napkin and under a lamp to dry it, then feed it? Thanks so much! crickets are so cute!

Also If i catch the pinhead crickets from the wild and keep them for a while before hand and check for any sort of mites and stuff, you think it would be ok? Like isaid they will be in a critter medium carryer at my desk under a light so i will be able to inspect them like constantly.

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Well, I've looked into breeding crickets for a bearded dragon or something. If I read correctly, you put a little pot of damp sand and then you get like 12 crickets and then, 4 weeks later or so you'll have little baby crickets. I'll bet you'll have a few dead ones to feed them, if not you can put them in a jar and microwave them but that'll be tough if they look really cute and have been on your desk for a few weeks. They like to hide in egg cartons too.

Good Luck

3. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

I gave my crabs frozen pinheads once. I bought them at the pet store to feed my carnivorous plants... froze the rest for future feedings. Crabs didn't seem interested tho.

Freeze them! That'll kill any mites ;D

4. shelbers91

Thanks so much! Yea I'll deffinatly freeze them before I feed them. I'll probably freeze them in one of those mini critter carryers. like so theyl have space to move and stuff, then when frozen, i'll give some to my friend for there finches. And then I'll dry my own for my Hermies! How do you dry them? lol jw Also Can they breed within the carryer?

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Freezing would kill the crickets too. I know not all bugs die during freezing (I had to do a bug collection/identification/pinning project in high school) - ants can be frozen for months and still be alive when you thaw them, but the grasshopper and cricket I did both were dead after freezing.

6. shelbers91

oops lol I meant can they breed in the large critter carryer with sand. Not the mini one for freezing lol Of course cthey cand breed if there freezing to death lolz

7. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

My gf keeps her crickets for her frogs in a 10g with earth and such and they don't reproduce.she has anywhere between 25-50 crickets at a time in there. I think you need a big amount of crickets for them to actually start a colony where you wouldn't have to buy anymore and they could just reproduce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.