1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone help determin which species

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by Jennifer Leatherwood, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Can someone help determin which species my crabs. I can't differentiate between all of the species. What are the distinguishing characteristics of each species? I have taken that test but I still cannot tell. Don't all crabs have wide bases on their outer antenna? I am confused. I think I will photograph their lrg claw and lil faces and post them so you all can help.

Jenn

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Jennifer
    With your excellent photo's it shouldn't be to hard for us to tell what they are [​IMG]. At first it does seem confusing, but after a while you will be able to differentiate them pretty easily. I have 6 species and have found that the most difficult can sometimes be the rug's and the E's. But I would say that I am 99.9% certain I know which are which (because I can see them in person-pictures can sometimes be tricky). I do have a tiny little ruggie that I went back and forth on for a while until he molted a few times and I can now definitely tell that he is a rug.

I saw your pics in the say cheese forum and here are my votes:
    Crab Pictures

Big, Ball, Two, Pinkito and Inoo are Clypeatus (PP's)

Small and Echo are Compressus (E's)

Aura and Pepper are Rugosus. Pepper is questionable without seeing the BP. I also have been wondering if these red looking ruggies aren't the species Rubescens. I have been doing some reading and according to Biology of the Land Crabs, there has been a species found only on the west coast of Africa that has been mislabeled as Rugosus (which are found on the east coast of Africa). This species is indeed Rubescens (per BOTLC). I was thinking that since rubescens means red...well perhaps some of these red ruggies have been misidentified-JMO

Stewey I am hazarding to guess is an E based soley on the shell. He could be a ruggie though. He seems to have the thinner legs like a rug, but when they are small, which he seems to be, it is not that easy to tell the difference. His antennae bases are dark which also points me to an E, but I can't be certain. Check his BP for stitch marks. Even though E's and Rug's both have them, they are more prominent on a rugosus.

edited to add that I just looked more closely at Pepper and I can see the stitch marks on the BP-I vote Ruggie.

3. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Thanks, what does stewy's shell have to do with being an E?
    Jenn

4. osippi

osippi Hi, I'm New Here!

Big is a carribean/PP/Purple pincher

I own 5 carribeans. =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.