1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can shells be patched?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by voiceofnight, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voiceofnight

voiceofnight Guest

I bought a wonderful new shell that I thought my PP would love. He did, but before he could get into it my smaller PP dropped onto it from the top level and chipped a whole in it :-( The larger PP doesn't seem interested in any of the other myriad shells I have purchased. Is it possible to fix the chip, and if so what materials are safe to use. Does "Non-toxic" mean that it will be ok for the hermies?

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

You could try aquarium sealant. Your best bet it to go buy some more shells. Try some online stores or check out the shell swap thread in the general section here

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

The Crab Street Journal also has a shell swap there. Have you become a member there yet?

4. voiceofnight

voiceofnight Guest

I think I will at least give the sealant a try. He is rather picky it seems. I have had him for a bit over 3 weeks and he's been too big for his shell since I got him. Its not for lack of options either. Between him and the slightly smaller femall PP I have they have about 10 shells to pick from.

5. voiceofnight

voiceofnight Guest

Its so typical. As soon as I start asking for advice he changes shells. I woke this morning to see him in a beautiful pearl-striped green turbo. I guess the full tank cleaning i did yesterday made him happy ;D

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

Congrats!

7. shmama

shmama Guest

I just wanted to add something here: I tried using aquarium sealant with tiny shell piece patches over the chipped up holes in 2 of my larger, more expensive shells (they arrived that way, had been polished down too thin & got holes while in shipping). I tried letting them cure for days first & soaked them in saltwater to make sure they would hold up, & also made sure that the excess nibs of sealant were shaved off - inside & outside. NOone has ever even tried them on, even after many saltwater soaks & periodically changing them in & out of the tank. I don't think they will except a patched shell. If anyone has had any luck, please let me know because I have a few others that would be great except for tiny worm holes of whatever. I hate wasting good shells just because of small defects, but it seems that's the way it has to be. :idunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.