1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anybody tell me what he is?

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by BL00DYMARY, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

These pictures really don't do him justice.. His coloring is so pretty. Yellow to bright orange on the front of his legs, with black stripes on the backs.. he even has a black stripe behind his head, and his underside is white and blue. I bought two of them, this is his first day out of Iso, his friend has switched shells every night. I sure wish he would, this one is way too small, he can't even retract his head into it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BL00DYMARY

Here he is making friends with my little E, Bloo:
    [​IMG]

3. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Hola!

It's hard to say what the crab is without a good picture of its big cheliped.

However, from the color, I was tempted to say it was a cavie, but it's antennae are the wrong color; ditto for ruggie.

Here's a wonderful, simple, foolproof species ID test:

http://misaluv.walagata.com/q1.html

It should help you figure out what your new crab is.

Beautiful color! Congratulations on your new crabbie.

4. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Beautiful pics!!!
    I think he's a very differant kind of hermit, it seems to be cool, with all those colors!!!

5. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

The markings on the head and sides are consistent with the ones on my E's. He also has pretty "beefy" legs which seems more of an E trait as well-I'm focusing on that section of leg above the section above the feeder claw (LOL read it again). Ruggies have more delicate legs and the back left walking leg has a "twist" to it..the second section from the bottom. As Kali_Ma indicated, look at his BP-this is usually a pretty good way to help ID your crabs. Longer, very noticeable stridulatory marks (stitch marks) would indicate a Ruggie and shorter, barely there ones would indicate an E. The eyes also look more Eish to me too. Rug's also tend to have a bit of an orange tint to the antennae as well.

E's and Ruggies are very similar looking and can really be hard to tell apart without comparing at least 3 or more of the traits.

6. BL00DYMARY

Thanks, I love that test. But now I'm not sure if my other two are Rugs. I had thought they were E's.. they do seem to have thick bases on their antenna in the pictures. What other differences are there between Ruggies and E's? Does anyone have a picture or a link to a pic of the twisted back leg? It would help if they would hold still for a few minutes! These guys are fast.

7. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Rugs will have orange antennae bases and often orange joints to the legs. All of mine have been more gray to gray blue, with black striping and white dimpling on the main cheliped.

My compressus tend to be gunmetal blue gray to brownish, with mahogany colored leg tips and chelipeds. But black antennae.

8. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Does he look like this
    [​IMG]

If so he is a calico crab. I don't know much about them other than they are beautiful.

9. Felicity Loves Animals

That's such a cute pic!!!

10. BL00DYMARY

He does look just like that Tricia, even has the same shell, lol. I found pictures of the twisted leg people mentioned, and mine definetely don't have that so I think that I probably have 4 E's.. one being very colorful. What are the distingushing characteristics of a calico crab? Or is that just what they call a crab with many colors? Does anyone know?

11. Felicity Loves Animals

So... you know what he is now, right???

12. BL00DYMARY

The more info I look at the more confused I get. I think he is an E, but I'm really not sure.

13. Felicity Loves Animals

Oh, okie dokie!!! Yes, I'm sure it is confusinng!!!

14. osippi

osippi Hi, I'm New Here!

cavie or E

15. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

One more note about E v.s. Ruggie. I have noticed that my ruggies have markings on their eye stalks. Most have a dark grey/black stripe on the top and the bottom of their eye stalks. The lighter ruggies only have it on the bottom or underneath part-it almost looks like a dot and is hard to see if you aren't looking closely. None of my E's have that marking on their eye stalks-theirs are uniform in color. Maybe this is another way to tell them apart.

Anyone else with ruggies notice this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.