1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a hermit crab get stuck in its shell?

Discussion in 'Shells' started by yayforalexis, Oct 13, 2010.

1. yayforalexis

yayforalexis Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello,

A little while back I posted a question about upside down surface molting. Well unfortunately my little Spiral didn't make it. He tried for about 2 months and he passed over the past weekend.

I was wondering if its common for hermit crabs to get stuck in their shell. I ask this because... now this might sound mean, but when a hermit crab dies I pull them out to recycle their shell. I am not sure if many people do this. Well when I had others that died, they usually jus slip right out of the shell or I would have to tug it just a bit, but when I tried to do this on Spirals shell, it was difficult. He was definately dead and smelled horrible.
    I stopped trying because it give me a bad feeling in my tummy tugging on him like that.

Do you think he got stuck inside and died?

2. Mariah

Mariah "Preparing For First Molt"

im sorry about spiral. If he was in a painted shells he may have got stuck from the wet paint inside. Or Mabe he just got dry after he passed and got stuck? Many people recycle their shells. There's no harm.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like inside the shell.  The Hermit Crab will wrap his soft body around the little bar in there and hold on.  This keeps the shell from slipping off when he walks, climbs, etc.

It could be that Spiral died still wrapped around the bar and as Mariah said, dried in the shell that way.

:sad5:  I'm sorry about your little crabbie...

4. yayforalexis

yayforalexis Hi, I'm New Here!

I actually never knew what the inside looked like. I just assumed it looked like a bowl or something.. and Spirals shell wasnt painted, but it did look kinda small for him.. I put a TON of shells for him to change, but he never did.

Thanks for all the help : )

5. midnightrun9

midnightrun9 Hi, I'm New Here!

I have seen this problem before too and it is sad but you really don't want that little guy's body in your home at all.  This one was totally stuck in the shell and I tried to get him out to use the shell.  I never got the shell off but i didn't like the shell anyway.  The shell was white with orange spots which to me, didn't like.