1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calico Crabs ??

Discussion in '~HCRU Hard Drive~ - Carved In Stone' started by kuplakrabs, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

These are either 3 REALLY big E's or this new species being called the Calico Crab. Aviate and I have both somehow ended up with these. I verified with my lps that they are coming from Bob Gardner.

2. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Wow...whatever they are, they are beautiful crabs.

3. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ReganShaw:
    Wow...whatever they are, they are beautiful crabs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I totaly agree with Jenny on that they are awsome and very beautiful. How do we go about getting a few of these crabbies??

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I bought these three from my local pet store only 3 minutes from my house. I haven't seen any more in there since I bought them. They were 9.95 each! That's how much I paid for my straws....They are bigger than a golf ball, but not quite as big as a tennis ball.

When I was in there the other day, I noticed that they had some smaller crabs with the dark coloring like these. I may go back and buy one just to put it next to my E's for comparison.

When all the chatter arose about these possibly being variabilis, I wasn't able to let myself be convinced that they were anything other than large E's...now that I have taken some time away from looking at them constantly, I have been closely comparing their body structures, etc and Aviate is right, they are definitely not the sweet little e's that scuttle along the sand. They are darker in color and beefier all over-thus indicating that they have adapted more for tree climbing than beach dwelling. Another person had posted to indicate the differences in the length/thickness/appearance of the antennae. Whatever they are, I love mine. I will try to get my camera cooperating and get some pics of the crabs that I know are E's and compare them side by side to these silly hermies.

These particular crabs were not purchased (as far as I know) from the Fishmart supplier. The guy at our lps told me they come directly from "this guy" and picked up his crab book to indicate Gardner. I even called once I got home and reconfirmed this info with someone else who works there.

5. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

WoW mine is only about the size of a half dollar. I think she is one of my prettiest crabs.

Kupla those are beautiful, I also got mine at a local pet store and haven't seen any since...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.