1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calico Crabs

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by SuperMom, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Aviate, I have to agree I don't think they are CC. I always thought Alexa was different than the others, but that's what makes her so special.. [​IMG]

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hello!

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in to this discussion. The term Calico has been brought up along time ago. There isn't a new species, it was determined that these are Equadorians.I have 18 hermit crabs, all E's. They all range in color and size. my most recent one was just a mirror image of the pictures people are posting. It's just a good size E. Most people only see micros or smalls. It's rare to find a big E.
    As much as I'd love to see a new species, this just isnt one.

3. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

The only crabs i can seem to get my hands on are all PP's never seen an E before in my life i mean ive seen pictures but would love to own one.
    Oooh saw a beautifull red crab too strawberry was it ?
    Not too sure but wow .

4. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I'll agree that Calico crabs are probably Es, but I haven't heard that it been proved via DNA testing or whatnot, and I think that is what it takes to be sure. Knowing where they actually come from wouldn't hurt either!

I don't know if you have much of a chance of finding Es in the UK, or any species besides PP. I have never heard of anyone in Europe finding them, anyhow. The red crab you saw could have been a PP -- they can be surprisingly red sometimes.

5. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Update on mine- I decided to keep them & they are doing just fine in the main tank. No aggression problems at all. From what I have researched & observed, They do have so many characteristics all their own that I tend to think that they are a speicies of their own. They are much more vocal than my other E's, but they tend to use their voices for different reasons. It does not always signal distress or aggression with them. For them it seems more another means of communication. I have a micro E that rides right on the back of my larger Calico to get closer to the heat lamp and he has no problem with this at all. I have also observed them resting face to face with one of my Ruggies and gently "talking" with their feelers. They are much easier to handle than any of my other large crabs too, have never opened a claw to pinch. My son usually only likes to handle the smaller crabs, but he is perfectly comfortable letting the Calico climb right up his arm.

6. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Also, I just wanted to make a note that some of the links to pictures in this thread are not pictures of Calicos at all, they are pictures of Aussies.

7. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hello Supermom, I have two Calico Crabs. I started looking for information on them and came up with only one fact, that they come from India. The seem to grow faster than Ecuadorians and do not seem to run as fast. Personally, I think they are a new species. My two are doing fine. They require salt water but seem to have no preferences for specialties in their diets. They are both beautiful. Good luck with Alexa.

8. reader101

reader101 Banned

Oh, where have you been for so long?
    I seem to live in a part of the world where e's, indies, rugs, pper's, and numerous "others" are randomly available or adopted from. Consequently, I can only really identify my first colony of 6 ppers, and only identify the remaining 25 as "other", although there may be groups of 2 or 3 that are definately of the same group, shell, etc. That's why I wish someone could repost pictures of unusual species, descr., etc. Sorry I can't download pics of mine for identity, but can definately tell from shells, eyes, legs, markings, etc. Does anyone know of a species (not pper, straw) with a perfect "A" on its' carapace?
    More pictures, please?
    :confused:

9. reader101

reader101 Banned

:confused:
    Nancy - I'm confused that your last posting was to the effect that you were so stressed and grieving, not knowing even how many crabs you had because you had so many...and yet you are experienced enough to have two Calico Crabs and can actually identify this rare species?
    You're familiar with specialties in their diets???????
    :mad:

10. nancy

Hello 101, I'm sorry if I have affended you in any way. I lost track of the number of crabs in that tank and since they are always changing shells I have lost track of who is who. I know I have two Calico crabs because I bought them at the same store where they were identified as such. I've kind of kept an eye on them hoping they are something different. Thank you for pointing out my inconsistancies with my postings. I can tell that you're a very kind person. Nancy

11. reader101

reader101 Banned

May I suggest that individually-addressed issues be taken to PM?
    Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  12. nancy

Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I still don't believe that the calico's are ecuadorians. My two don't have solid black antenna. Their legs have a beautiful striping that none of my other crabs do, and I have E's the same size or a bit larger. They are not Ruggies either. They have no slash marks on their big claws. Unlike my E's they love turban shells, which they proceded to change into as soon as they were placed in the tank. So, is anybody of the same opinion? I know most of these differences can be explained away, but wouldn't it be great if a new species surfaced, especially since it's so hard to get strawberries due to the ban on importation? Please let me know what you all think. Thanks and God Bless.

13. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I found this from a post back in June. I don't know if it helps distinguish yours any better but I thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi all!

Who all has these Calico crabs? [​IMG]

I have been conducting some research on HCRU and found some shocking discoveries.

I have talked with other Calico crab owners about the differences in behavior and appearence than that of Es.

My observations with my own Calico, Cheddar has brought me to these conclusions:

1. Straight, long eye stalk, more like that of Ruggies or Strawberries.
    2. Extremely slight or no stitch marks, even lighter than the common E.
    3. Small bump at the bottom of eye stalk similar to that of a C. Cavipes, but not as durastic.
    4. Appearence of cloudy eye commonly seen in C. Perlatus.
    5. BP slightly larger than the small pincher, and bulky appearence like that of C. Varibillis.
    6. Color! Some colors never reported on Es have shown up on Calicos... one case being that purple and burgundy was appearent.
    7. Size! Calicos are usually always larger than Es, which are small.
    8. Color on the eye stalk seems to be appearent with the cases I've seen. As we know Es eye stalks are always colorless.
    9. The personality of all the cases of Calicos I've seen are always agressive and vocal. This is an agressive species, sometimes crabbers having difficulty integrating them into their main tank with assorted species.
    10. Location. One crabber I've dealed with said said the man she purchased the Calico from said they were from Nigeria... but that's more where you'd find C. Cavipes... not Ecudorians.

I believe their are two possible conclusions to this mystery...

1. As an E gets larger, it develops new color and body shape.
    2. (and the most sensible theroy in my research and opinion) The Calico is a whole new species that comes from Nigeria, similar looking to Es, Ruggies, Aussies, and some traits of Strawberries.

I'd like other's thoughts on this... and pics of anybody else's Calico.

Weeeee... this is fun! [​IMG]

Oh, here some pics of my Calico, Cheddar. The painted shell is horrid. o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. nancy

Ms. Diamond, thank you for the thought. The crab pictured is indeed what my calico's look like. They are very beautiful crabs but mine don't seem to be aggressive. I hope we can keep this discussion going. I know we will definately learn the truth but for now it is a very satisfying mystery. God Bless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.