1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calico Crabs

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by SuperMom, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] An Admin. from another site thinks that my Alexa is a Calico Crab. How do I find out for sure?

Here is her pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SORRY this one is so small..

2. SuperMom

[​IMG] I forgot to ask, What is a Calico Crab? I thought they were only a marine crabs...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Could he mean calico to describe Alexa's coloring? What kind do you think she is?

4. SuperMom

Nope she says they're a type of E but they are called calico crabs and she also has one...

5. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

heh.. weird. The only picture that has come up for calico crab so far with myway search is this lil cutie. [​IMG]

I'll have to keep looking.

Jess

6. simone

simone Hi, I'm New Here!

I believe Calico crabs were originally referred to by Bob Gardener, who fed his crabs a special diet to experiment making various colors of crabs.

The big debate now is, there seems to be these new huge looking Es, but people aren't quite sure where they came from or how they got their markings, larger feeder claws, etc. Some also seem to think they are also more hyper/agressive.

I haven't seen one in person, only in pictures- my guess is that they are jumbo Es, though they could I supposed be a lesser known species.

7. SuperMom

[​IMG] Well my Alexa is no more active than any of my other E's and she is not at all aggressive. She's not quit Jumbo either she is about the size of a ping pong ball maybe smaller. She is super sweet....

8. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

There is a distributer www.fishmartinc.com that sells Calico crabs.. you can look on thier site and see if they supply a store near you.

9. SuperMom

[​IMG] Thanks Mari, I checked and there are none in my area. [​IMG]

10. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

I think I may have one of the "Calico Crabs" I rescued a med E a couple of months ago in a silver shell with red zigzags. Very ugly painted shell. He of course refuses to leave it. Any way today he was doing something [​IMG] under the sand. As I looked closer he was flipping one of the little guys over and over underneath himself [​IMG] I thought well we won't have this going on so I picked him up and moved him to the other side of the tank while I checked the little ruggie. He was ok and scrambled away. But before I could get my hand out Rambo came charging across the tank and latched on to my hand [​IMG]
    I yanked my hand out so quick I sent him flying across the tank in the sand. Then I went to pick him up and he charged me again [​IMG] Well I guess he showed me whose boss. I just let them be and watched(everyone else was tucked in bed for the day) All of a sudden he started making noise and 4 other E's came running out from wherever they were sleeping and I swear they were "patroling" the tank. [​IMG]for intruders [​IMG]Well they all marched around for about 5 minutes chirping at each other then settled in and went to sleep. Very Wierd

11. SuperMom

[​IMG] that is crazy, I hope Alexa isn't a calico. She is very sweet I have had her for 7-8 and she has never pinched me or either of my girls. Alexa(who I believe to be an E) and Olivia (my biggest Indo) are handled more than any other crabs in the tank. Neither is shy and both come out when you put your hand in the tank.(or atleast when I do)

I bet that was kind of scary and funny at the same time [​IMG]

Good Luck with him..

12. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

not to worry! not all calicos are aggressive! I went and got a few more, and theyre tametametame! [​IMG]

That is a calico. And yes, the debate is, is this an E from a special part of South America, or another species entirely? No one knows.. and if they do theyre not talking.
    But theres nothing wrong with calicos, theyre nice crabbies. I had one that was insane. But the rest turned out fine once they settled in.

My biggest one is the size of a small jumbo. I never heard of an E that big. But if theyre Es harvested from somewhere else, where they live more in trees than on sand, its certainly possible! That could account for their dark coloring: thus the term calico crab.

As for gardners claim theyre es on a special diet, thats ridiculous. Unless that diet is plutonium, as another crabber has joked, then diet would not cause the physiological changes these crabs have. (Thick legs, uniform big and small claws, dark coloring, etc.)

But dont worry about the aggression, if he isnt yet hes not gonna just go dr. jeckyl on ya now!

[​IMG]

13. SuperMom

[​IMG] that's a relief. I wish I could find another like her just so she wouldn't be the only one of her speices. I really baby her.
    I also have on other ? I thought/think she maybe getting ready to molt. All the signs are there except the cloudy eyes. Her eyes are just as glossy and shiney as the day I got her. So could she still be gearing up for a molt even if her eyes aren't cloudy?

14. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I have 3 of those Calico Crabs or Big E's, whatever we are calling them...lol and mine are all very sweet. They only gave me lip one night when I was changing their dishes. I suppose they had a good reason, being crammed into the 10g ISO probably wasn't too great, but now they are in their own 30g. The cutie in my avatar is one of my Calico Crabs, Calypso.

15. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

my crabs never have cloudy eyes before a molt. I have seen this, but not in my tank. [​IMG]
    so Id say yes, if hes burying, a little sluggish, and was tanking up on food and water recently. [​IMG]

Good luck! they have tough molts.. I will be thinking good thoughts!!

16. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Wow those crabbies are truely amazing, is there anywhere we can obtain a few of these crazy crabbies?? I finaly got few extraz x-mass bucks and would love to set up a nice tank-viv for 2 or 3 of these crabs..

17. SuperMom

I got mine at the mall. She was my first hermie(well her and a PP). I have never seen another like her...

18. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Does anyone have a good shot of a Crazy Crab that they can post in this thread? I would like to compare to Tricia's suspected Calico.

Cappa [​IMG]

19. SuperMom

20. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

This is why we all wondered if they were crazy crabs (C. Variablis), because they do look similar. But the legs of the crazy crabs are thinner, and theyre lighter in color. The calicos have very thick, dark legs and dark spots. Very pretty crabbies! (but of course they ALL are!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.