1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calico Crabs revisited

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by nancy, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I know this topic has flared up and put to rest several times, but I'd like to know if there are any new thoughts on it. I have a Calico named "Cat". Last time I saw him he was a dainty, long legged crabbie. I havn't seen him for about three months. He was up for a drink of salt water yesterday. He is chunky and huge compared to the small Equadorians that molt on a regular basis in the crabitat. My E's don't grow at the same speed as this crab, though he looks very much like an E. Has anyone had a similar experience with a crab labeled "Calico"? Is there any new taxonomic information to rule it out definitively as a separate species? Please tell me what you think.:eek:

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I know NOTHING about Calicos ... except that there are marine crabs called Calico. Guess that doesn't help! LOL ... :)

3. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Hmm cool? I know nothing about the topic

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

The information I posted in another thread, was from June 14, 2006. Sue, the owner of Coenobita org, has many biologists she keeps in contact with. The body of a supposed calico crab was sent to one of her biologists and the results came back as it was the same family as E's. There are Pseudo Rugs, so this may also be a case of Pseudo E's or another Pseudo Rug variety. It's also been mentioned that diet plays a big part in this. Think of all the different colored Rugs and E's. I have E's and they range from light tan, dark brown to a green blue. Same with rugs, white to a dark grey/black. But they are still Es and Rugs no matter the coloring. It's their diet that makes this color difference.

My suggestion is to go to Coenobita Research and register there to be a member. The site has so much information on hermit crabs.

5. nancy

Thank you so much for the information. I'm glad there is some definate conclusions. I probably saw more differences then there actually were between my so-called Calico crab and my E's.

6. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I have a couple of "calico" e's.. they are just very large E's IMO.. they had some interesting traits that my other E's don't have. They are much more vocal, they were aggressive at first (with shells & food mostly), but they have integrated into my community tank nicely. They also bath often in the deep salt water & seem to suck the smaller bowls dry on a daily basis. I had a hard time keeping them in ISO with the smaller dishes because they would empty them so quickly. In my opinion, I think the differences are largely due to the environment they are from. If a crab has grown in an environment where the conditions are over populated, they would likely be more aggressive with the shells & the food. I kept mine in ISO for two months & spoiled them rotten before I added them to the main tank & watched them very carefully. They still chirp loudly if another crab even tries to "pass" them on a branch, but they are not aggressive. Just a little more defensive than they need be.

7. nancy

I have to agree. This crab, sold as a Calico, is much more vocal and is easier to tick off than my other E's. He seems to spend alot of time in the substrate, so it was a big surprize to me when I noticed his size recently. Someday there will be new species that are adaptable to crabitat life will be discovered. I guess we missed our shot this time.

8. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Pics of my Giant (Calico?) E's:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Oh yeah I know what calicos are now. They look cool!

10. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

a month or two ago i bought 2 crabs that i had no clue what they were. i done some research and looked at pictures and i figured out that i have 2 Calico E's. they are about the size of a PingPong Ball, so that's why was was confused, cause they looked like E's but are huge compared to my e's. haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.