1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calcium

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by jess2mellow1, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jess2mellow1

jess2mellow1 Hi, I'm New Here!

I don't feed my crabs seperate calcium. Is that bad???? what can I use or buy??? I heard egg shells is that true???

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Yes, you can give them crushed up egg shells. There is also another inexpensive source of calcium called Cuttle Bone (comes from the Cuttlefish). It is available in the bird section and is usually less than a dollar.

Also if you have a red raspberry bush near your house that has not been sprayed with pesticides, dry some of the leaves and offer them to the crabs. The leaves are very high in calcium as well.

3. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Hello!

I didn't even know cuttlebones were THAT cheap!

I have a blackberry bush, could I use that's leaves--it doesn't have any pestisides on it?

4. kuplakrabs

Sure, you can give them blackberry leaves too!

5. kuplakrabs

6. jess2mellow1

jess2mellow1 Hi, I'm New Here!

THanks, I did not know cuttlebones were for calcium I thought they were just for the birds to peck their beeks at! Do you put the whole thing in the cage or break it or what?? I used to give my guinea pig one to chew on because he did not like any ov the wood or plastic toys, just the corner of his cage and the cuttle bone.

7. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Thank you, Kupla![​IMG]

8. kuplakrabs

I toss the whole thing in. The crabs have no problem eating it since it is so soft. You can also scrape some into their food dish or break it up into pieces. I used to put it into a grinder and put a separate dish in the tank, but it ended up smelling pretty bad when it got wet.

9. greytaloha

greytaloha Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi everyone! I am new to crabbing and new to this site. Please bear with me...

My darling hermie just molted. At first, I thought he went to Hermie Heaven. The next day, I didnt see the smell of death and I saw an exo on the side of his shell. I came to the conclusion that he has molted. I have moved him to an iso. He has been wandering around, so I know he isnt dead! [​IMG] BUT, I threw away his exo before I read the forums. Bad Hermie Mommy, I know. [​IMG] Dont start throwing the tomatoes. I just got back from WalMart and bought a cuddle bone. They also had this box of stuff called "Gravel 'n Grit". I bought a box "just in case". It has the ingredients: Gravel, Calcium Carbonate, and Sarbolite Clay. Has anyone ever used this? Is this a yeah or a neigh? It said its a digestive aid with calcium carbonate. Thought I would ask. If I cant use it, I can always give it my neighbor who raises birds....

10. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I am a little unsure about the gravel and clay, but hopefully our food expert will come along and give a definitive answer, and probably better advice on supplemenation as well. Don't worry, you're not the first to throw away an exo by mistake! In addition to cuttlebone, try offering your crabs some shrimp exos. I put some ground-up Tetra sun-dried baby shrimp in the food dish with every meal. It has chitin in it, which crabs need for healthy exos as well. You could prepare fresh shrimp as well. I think it's great to offer this stuff all the time, but it's especially important for your crab that missed out on eating his exo.

For calcium, you can also try:
    * Calci-sand (better in a dish than as a substrate!)
    * coral pieces
    * ground-up (washed) eggshells

Cholla wood and corkbark also have some chitin in them. Climbing toys and healthy snacks, all in one attractive woody package! [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum, by the way! [​IMG]

11. greytaloha

greytaloha Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for the welcome. I will stop by Petco on my way home and get the Tetra baby shrimp. I normally have some here for my fish tank, but I think I have used the last of it.

Thanks for not making me feel like a horrible crab mommy since I threw away his exo.

I will make a note to myslef to get the other things that you recommended as well.

I am going to Atlantic City this week, and there is a store there that has tons of hermies. I am going to rescue a few from them. I am sure they will be stressed, but hopefully I can "destress them" and let them live a happy life at my house. I can try to save some of them, right??? When I was in AC last month, it bothered me to see tons of little crabbies in a wire cage.... They need happiness at my house! [​IMG]

12. kuplakrabs

Don't worry, no one will throw tomatoes at you here...HCRU prides itself on being a site to make people feel comfortable and not ridiculed [​IMG] We have all made our share of mistakes with our crabbies too.

I have heard somewhere on one of the forums about the Gravel -n- Grit too, but I would be interested in what Kerie has to say about it.

Welcome to the family [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.