1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calcium question.

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by marleyfish, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

I have been working on a kinda low budget hermie alchemy area on the desk where my crabitat is and i have an old spice jar filled with crushed organic egg shells, plus i have been saving bits and pieces of exo that i find when cleaning so i had decided that i would crush that and use it for some extreame calcium if i ever need it. My question is this " is it safe to crush exo and give it to them? and if so how long would it keep in a ziplock bag? Also how long do eggshells keep for?

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

If you put it in the fridge it should be fine for a couple of months.At the pet store you could pick up a jar of fluker's crushed calcium. It's nnot that much and will last a long time.

3. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

yeah i know about the flukers stuff, but i'm trying to go as close to all natural as i can.

4. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Hey just look at my collection :chuckle:
    [img width=400 height=300]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/jabby77/hermies019.jpg[/img]
    Well kinda, this pic is old. I don't collect anymore since they don't seem interested in the exo.

The extra hermit exo can last awhile and so can the egg shells. Just keep them dry and you should be good. Give cuttlebone a shot. It's cheap and they love it!

5. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Yeah I agree cuttlebone is great for them! It usually costs 1$ for a 5-inch piece rom where I buy mine, and the crabs LOVE IT! also, it wont get mouldy if you don't wet it, so you can just leave it in the tank and they can munch at it whenever they want!

Also, if you ever eat shrimp for supper or something, instead of throwing them out, save the tails and give them to the crabs...That's another good source of calcium!

6. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I grind mine up and add it to there food.

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I stick mine up in the corner caddy basket so it isn't touching the ground. It doesn't get yucky this way.

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I get my cuttle bone from Walmart in the bird foods section. It's $1.00 but check the boxes because some are bigger pieces. I crush it up and put it in a small dish and put it near my foods and waters. They love it. :flower:

9. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

I check the packages for the biggest pieces too :busted:

10. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:chuckle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.