1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

calcium crunchers

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by emcginnis, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emcginnis

emcginnis (Micro Crab)

Anyone ever tried those calcium crunchers that look like a pail and shovel? Or, anyone ever heard any negative comments about them?

2. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

I have seen those, they are really cute, but my concern is that they are colored or dyed with something...I stay away from dyed things. I would recommend buying some of those little sand dollars that some people call seabiscuits. :yes2:

3. emcginnis

emcginnis (Micro Crab)

That's what my concern was that they were bright blue and red. Where is the best place to find some of those sand dollars. The ones I have seen are bright white like they have been bleached or is that their natural color? :twirl:

4. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

I'm not sure if Vicki has them for sale in her store(she sent one in my order as a sample/treat :sunny: )...I have gotten some from crabbagepatch, they are bright white, the other ones I have seen are also bright white in color...I would trust these, especially coming from reputable sellers :sunny:

Another good calcium suppliment is the hermit crab calcisand. I wouldn't use it as a substrate, mainly because of price and listening to others complain of smell/mold...but its a good calcium source and lasts a long time. I put some in their food dish and change it out when I give them fresh food, so no smell or anything like that.

5. emcginnis

emcginnis (Micro Crab)

:hula: I have a bag of calcisand I forgot about having. It came in a kit I bought and never used it cause it would have cost a major bucks using it as substrate. Thanks.

6. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

another great source for calcium is cuttlebone, my hermies love it and i always have a piece in the tank that i have to replace every few weeks cos they like it so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.